Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 14, 2015   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default if you could grow only cherry tomatoes...

If the only tomatoes you could grow were cherry tomatoes, what 4-6 varieties would you grow, and how would you use them? These would be the tomatoes you eat in salads and salsa, for tomato sandwiches and roasted tomatoes, and for canning, as well as snacking in the garden. So presumably you'd want a full range of flavors, not just sweet.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #2
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

so far --- only Supersweet 100s will grace my garden next year for cherry tomatoes. Extremely plentiful and so very very good! Yes, they are super sweet, but they make every dish I have them with so very good. A cherry is not for sandwiches or canning in my opinion. Salads and snacking. They make a sweet salsa, but I would use a sauce tomato in my salsa.
I have some San Mazanos (plum) for sauce, but still waiting for them to ripen.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #3
k3vin
Tomatovillian™

I mostly use cherries for fresh eating, and for my taste buds I prefer them super sweet. Some of my favorites are Sungold, Isis Candy, and Snow White. Favorite currants are Coyote, Tomatito de Jalapa and Champagne Cherry.

However, after reading your post again I think you are asking which cherris best approximate their larger cousins that are used for slicing and canning, etc. Now that's an interesting question. I would say Carbon Copy tastes like a large black slicer...

Last edited by k3vin; September 14, 2015 at 10:16 PM.
k3vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #4
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

Can I ask why you are only wanting to do cherries?

Do you have a short days to maturity? They just grow better for you? You like the size and shape?
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #5
Dennyav
Tomatovillian™

My friend buys a cherry tomato plant as he usually does every spring and sticks it in a large planter on his deck. They eat of it every year and really does not care what the name is. Matter of fact he tossed the tag... We were there this weekend and he said the cherry tomatoes were the best tomatoes he's ever had for the several years he's been doing this. I got several of them and have them fermenting and will plant them this spring. I hope they are OP (open pollinated). The tomatoes are dark colored ones.
Dennyav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #6
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorri D View Post
Can I ask why you are only wanting to do cherries?

Do you have a short days to maturity? They just grow better for you? You like the size and shape?
It's an interesting what-if, and a question that hasn't been asked before, as far as I can tell.

I was looking at my tableful of tomatoes the other day and noticing that most of the larger tomatoes have catfacing or BER this year, or else are much smaller than usual. But the cherry tomatoes are doing ok, though not as prolific as usual, so it hasn't been a chore to pick them.

I've always liked great-tasting cherry tomatoes in sandwiches, and i was also wondering what else i could use them for. This year i've discovered a few more garden shares, and cherries are a lot easier to share than larger varieties.

The squirrels have discovered the melons and sunflowers at my home garden, but not the tomatoes...yet. At least if they go after cherries, either i won't notice or the damage will be minimal.

Anyway, although i might actually grow only cherries at home next year, i can't imagine not having all the other varieties at my other gardens.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #7
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

SunGold, Champagne Cherry (same as Coyote?) and Black Cherry
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Slicing/Canning: Porter - prolific, old fashion taste, and known as a canning tomato.

Sweet: Sungold and Red Ambrosia

Different: Oranje Van Goeijenbier

Fun to grow: Blue cherry sized tomatoes - Brings up garden conversations. Edit: Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blue produced really well for us - good taste.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; September 15, 2015 at 12:14 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #9
walt456
Tomatovillian™

Currents for fresh eating and salads, and a large cherry tomato a neighbor has been raising since the 40's. I don't know it's name but it's the absolute sweetest tomato I've ever had. I grew Sungold this year since it's supposed to be the sweetest tomato out there. In my garden the unknown variety was way sweeter than Sungold.
walt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #10
joseph
Tomatovillian™

If I had to start my tomato breeding project all over again using only cherry tomatoes, and I was limited to 6 cultivars, I would choose:

Sungold F1. Because it has a lot of potential buried inside, including genes for larger sized fruits.

Yellow Pear. Because it grows really well here.

Solanum pimpinellifolium. Because while it's a poor fit for my climate, it might have a lot of potential as a parent for making crosses.

Large Red Cherry. Because if I have to grow cherry tomatoes, then I might as well get the most return for my labor.

A determinate cherry tomato. Because the determinate growth habit is very valuable in my climate. But not a dwarf tomato. Something along the lines Hy Brix Tomato F1 or Mountain Belle F1. I'd choose a hybrid so that I could select among the offspring for traits that please me.

Jagodka: If you'd let me get away with calling it a cherry tomato... Because it is the current flywheel variety in my garden.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

My 6 favourites are

Brandywine cherry
Super snow white
Dr. Caroline pink
Ambrosia gold
Reisentraube
Helsing ★★★★★★★★ blues

I do not like cherries for anything other than fresh eating or the occasional toss with pasta. Too much seed to flesh ratio for me and cooked seeds can make a sauce taste bitter imo.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2015   #12
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
My 6 favourites are

Brandywine cherry
Super snow white
Dr. Caroline pink
Ambrosia gold
Reisentraube
Helsing ★★★★★★★★ blues

I do not like cherries for anything other than fresh eating or the occasional toss with pasta. Too much seed to flesh ratio for me and cooked seeds can make a sauce taste bitter imo.
KarenO
This year I grew Pachino. I really didn't find it that sweet, and seed count was low for a cherry. It probably would make a good sauce.
I keep descriptions for all my seed and this is what I dug up for Pachino
Pachino - Famous Italian heirloom yields intensely flavorful, shiny red fruits slightly larger than a cherry
tomato. A sought-after gourmet treat, fresh or dried. Indeterminate. 68-75 days from transplant. OP
If you’re looking for some of the sweetest, firmest, shiniest tomatoes with a long shelf life to boot, you need
the small, red, juicy cherry tomato from Pachino, Sicily. Plants are very hardy and will overwinter in mild
winter areas. It is also one of the hardest varieties to find as farming conglomerates in Sicily tenaciously
guard the distribution of the seeds.The Pachino was first cultivated in 1925 but didn’t become popular until the
1970s. Now it is so treasured that a few years ago, Italy granted IGP status—a designation similar to the D.O.C.
designation for wines, which certifies that at least part of the production of a product is from a specific region.
Since the 1970's, it has been the tomato of choice for fresh use in salads, or used in pastas, pizzas or
vegetable soups. In Sicily, tomatoes are dried in the sun or conserved in oil. The dried tomatoes make great
bruschette and tartines. They can be used in pastas, with boiled meats or to flavor sauces. Indeterminate. 70 days.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #13
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Sungold
Black Cherry
Lemon Drop
Remy Rouge
Lucky Tiger
Sweet Aperitif

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #14
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I would be crying if I only could grow cherries...
my garden they only good for give aways and presents- lots of work to collect and not much in return.
Anyway, from recent years grow- Sungold, Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blue, Blue P20, Kiss the sky, Risentraube, Medovaya Kaplya, HHHS/ see baker creek seeds for Hssiao His .../, Isis Candy.
I will be growing a dozen of varieties for next year plant swap as many people do want to grow only cherries...
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #15
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

For a red, I would grow LA0417, a single plant selection I made a couple of years ago. It is very disease tolerant, very good production, and has that S. Pimpinellifolium sweet but rich tomato flavor I like.

For an orange, I would grow the high brix Orange Pear that I grew this year. It is super sweet with a unique texture that makes it an excellent salad tomato.

Black Cherry wins hands down for robust tomato flavor.

Galina's Yellow Cherry would be my favorite yellow.

Dr. Carolyn Pink hits all the major trait requirements in my garden.

I don't really have a favorite green when ripe, there are half a dozen I've grown that I like, but none of them are standout winners. Green Grape, Green Gage, Green Doctors, Green Doctors Frosted, and Green Zebra cherry come to mind.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote