Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2011   #1
J Peazy
Tomatovillian™

Default Large fruited variety with highest productivity

Of all the large fruited varieties of tomatoes that you have grown, which have the highest productivity? By large I mean average over 9oz.

I'm just curious. I have limited space (very limited). I would like to plant varieties that produce well. Heirloom or hybrid doesn't matter to me.

Anyone grown Bella Rosa? Would this tomato fit the bill?

Thanks in advance for your help.
J Peazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2011   #2
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Brandy Boy (hybrid) did very well for me, and was very tasty. Lemon Boy (also a hybrid) - yellow tomato - produced tons, but it is very mild. I think those meet your size criteria - double check Lemon Boy.

Mortgage Lifter (OP/heirloom) also produced lots for me - but I found the flavor too mild. Others disagree.
Old May 20, 2012   #3
Liz
Tomatovillian™

I'd agree Brandyboy is a real star for a big slicer. Am also happy with Goliath for a fine production. xoxo Brandywine, but yield is small for the size the plant needs! good luck
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2011   #4
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Peazy View Post
Of all the large fruited varieties of tomatoes that you have grown, which have the highest productivity? By large I mean average over 9oz.

I'm just curious. I have limited space (very limited). I would like to plant varieties that produce well. Heirloom or hybrid doesn't matter to me.

Anyone grown Bella Rosa? Would this tomato fit the bill?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I haven't grown it (well, I am this year...), but for productivity and flavor Kosovo seems to be mentioned quite often around here! The fruit are generally approaching 1 lb I think.
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Year before last it was Marianna's Peace. Last year it was Neves Azorean Red, Limbaugh's Legacy, Kosovo, and Stump of the World. This year it is kind of a toss up of several varieties and one of them is Bella Rosa. The others are Dr. Wyches Yellow, Jetsetter, Brandywine Sudduth's , Brandywine Terhune, Milka's Red Bulgarian, and one I thought was Germaid Red. A couple of them still have fruit on them so I don't have a final tally yet. This year neither Marianna's Peace nor Neves Azorean Red has done well for me. I would recommend you pick at least a half dozen different ones so that if one or two do poorly you will still get a good crop of large tomatoes.
For me it seems that none of the large fruited varieties can be counted on to produce well every year. I will say that Kosovo has proven to be fairly consistent in production of large but not huge fruit both years I have grown it and so has Jetsetter.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011   #6
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

For what heirlooms I have grown Rose had the most production and size consistency. It was not uncommon for me to get maters around the 1 pound mark with some being in the two pound range.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011   #7
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

@J Peazy:
No offense, but we have a terminology issue. I am going to assume that you are really asking what large fruited varieties are most productive. In my garden the winner would have to be Aker's WV. The added benefit is that it is most resistant to the most common foliage diseases we have around here (Early Blight and Septoria leaf spot).

A long time ago someone actually counted the number of tomatoes per plant of many varieties and posted the results on the internet. I don't know if you can find a link to those results by searching (google?) or not.

@tam91:
I have to agree with you on the Mortgage Lifter. It is a big honkin' plant that can throw out some big ones, but in my garden it is bland. Tomatoes taste differently when grown in different environmental conditions and individual tastes vary. But we're on the same page with this variety and I'm from West Virginia. The implication is that one wouldn't want to knock a tomato from their home state based on anything but results.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011   #8
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

No matter the variety you choose to plant I would suggest planting two plants in each hole. This will not produce as much as two separated plants but will produce more than a single plant. Hope that made sense... The tomatoes in my avatar to the left under my name are Brandywines (bought the original plant a few years ago at a local nursery that were simply named "Brandywine"). I counted my production last year for the first time. They are not all as big as the ones in the picture of course... I had two plants (four plants actually that were planted in two holes). I picked 120 Brandywines from these two (actually four) plants. I know that Brandywines aren't normally great producers but that's what I got last year. I have very good growing conditions with soil, location, light, etc and last year I got anywhere from 40 to 85 tomatoes off of each 'slicer' variety (again, these were all double-planted). The varieities that fell into this category I planted were Green Copia, KBX, Carbon, Hege and Brandywine.

Last edited by pacmanJohn; June 22, 2011 at 10:12 AM.
pacmanJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011   #9
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanJohn View Post
No matter the variety you choose to plant I would suggest planting two plants in each hole. This will not produce as much as two separated plants but will produce more than a single plant. Hope that made sense...

Um no I don't understand .Why would you do that?

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011   #10
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

What I'm trying to say is that if you only have space for 1 plant I would plant two plants in that one hole. This will/should produce more tomatoes (from my experience) than only putting one tomato plant in that spot but wouldn't necessarily be as productive as planting those two tomato plants into two separate spots in the garden. When I grow from seeds I will leave two seedlings in each pot instead of one and plant both into the same hole in the garden.

Here's the original thread that I read that started me on doing this (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=235). You need to experiment for yourself as some have reasons against it. I've done it for three years now and I do not prune my plants. The one drawback is that the plants get so dense that it's sometimes hard to see and pick some of the tomatoes but I seems to protect well from sunscald.

Here's a picture from a week ago of a Stump of the World that I have planted. It's actually two plants in the same hole/cage. In a month they'll be five to six feet tall and much thicker than this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sotwthumb.JPG (163.1 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by pacmanJohn; June 22, 2011 at 02:24 PM.
pacmanJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2011   #11
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Agreed. Have two Paul Robeson plants in one hole this summer. They are going nuts. They seem to be trying to outdo one another. I will experiment further with this next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanJohn View Post
No matter the variety you choose to plant I would suggest planting two plants in each hole. This will not produce as much as two separated plants but will produce more than a single plant. Hope that made sense... The tomatoes in my avatar to the left under my name are Brandywines (bought the original plant a few years ago at a local nursery that were simply named "Brandywine"). I counted my production last year for the first time. They are not all as big as the ones in the picture of course... I had two plants (four plants actually that were planted in two holes). I picked 120 Brandywines from these two (actually four) plants. I know that Brandywines aren't normally great producers but that's what I got last year. I have very good growing conditions with soil, location, light, etc and last year I got anywhere from 40 to 85 tomatoes off of each 'slicer' variety (again, these were all double-planted). The varieities that fell into this category I planted were Green Copia, KBX, Carbon, Hege and Brandywine.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011   #12
J Peazy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTomatoMan View Post
@J Peazy:
No offense, but we have a terminology issue.

None taken. How else might this been interpreted?
J Peazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2011   #13
Michael
Tomatovillian™

I think you make a good point WVtomatoman. Toms taste differently in various soils. I grow about 10 different kinds in northern MO. Mortgage Lifter is one of my favorites here. Very good flavor here, and of course a great producer. Seems great dark green plentiful foliage, plus sun makes the sugars for sweet tomatoes. I grow about half hybrids and half heirlooms. Like them both.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012   #14
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTomatoMan View Post
@J Peazy:
No offense, but we have a terminology issue. I am going to assume that you are really asking what large fruited varieties are most productive. In my garden the winner would have to be Aker's WV. The added benefit is that it is most resistant to the most common foliage diseases we have around here (Early Blight and Septoria leaf spot).

A long time ago someone actually counted the number of tomatoes per plant of many varieties and posted the results on the internet. I don't know if you can find a link to those results by searching (google?) or not.

@tam91:
I have to agree with you on the Mortgage Lifter. It is a big honkin' plant that can throw out some big ones, but in my garden it is bland. Tomatoes taste differently when grown in different environmental conditions and individual tastes vary. But we're on the same page with this variety and I'm from West Virginia. The implication is that one wouldn't want to knock a tomato from their home state based on anything but results.

Good luck.

Randy
Randy, on the strength of your post, I ordered some Aker's WV seed. Thanks for the tip, Scott
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011   #15
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

The first two incredibly productive and big tomatoes that come to mind are both pink ones: Sweetie and Large Pink Bulgarian. Both were early too!