Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 20, 2014   #1
namwah
Tomatovillian™

Default Nematodes in central florida

Hopefully the photos are visible. This is nematode damage to the 2013 fall crop. Just pulled them the end of January. Still had a bumper crop. I read somewhere that the cabbage family is not affected by the same nematodes so plan on lots of broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. In June, the entire garden will be solarized. I have had limited success with solarization. This bed will not see tomatoes or related plants for at least a year maybe 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small .jpg (66.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg small IMG_1443.jpg (102.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg small IMG_1446.jpg (104.7 KB, 36 views)
namwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

There is a lot of info out there and in some posts here regarding STEAM SOIL STERILIZATION.Basically in some agricultural regions there are companys that actually inject steam into fields(here in S Floridas agri Redlands area)usually 18inches deep for a period of time in certain square foot increments.Soil tests are done before and after.It is expensive but it does rid soils of infestations.It also kills beneficials which can be amended back into soils after the process is done and test results come back.My neighbor dug out his 4x8 beds to 18 inches and systematically baked his soil in some 55 gallons barbecue grills ha had around.Took some time.I thought he was nuts.He lined the (below grade) 4x8 beds with 20 inch aluminum sheet metal and started all over.He says his tests have come back negative for the nemos.Sounds crazy but I can only commend him for his persistance.His new growth looks fine for the last two seasons.
Old February 20, 2014   #3
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Nematodes got me last year after I got about 40-50 lbs of tomatoes from my little garden. Going all containers this year. I put down weed shield in the fall and planted a few tomatoe plants in containers then as a trial. Results were very encouraging.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #4
namwah
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Your friend was on a mission. I thought of digging trenches, filling with tree trimmings and then having a bon fire. While still hot, restore the backfill and letting bake. Would create char-soil and probably do some temporary damage to the nematode population. My brain has bigger ideas than my back can handle.
Old February 20, 2014   #5
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Root knot nematodes, RKNs, are a major problem for us here in Florida. I'm trying a different approach than sterilization myself -- 1) Building healthy, mineral balanced soil that will attract beneficial microorganisms, 2) Planting RKN resistant crops and 3) Planting cover crops that are known to thwart RKNs. It's a long term approach and I doubt that I'll ever rid my soil totally of RKNs but I'm working on it.
Old February 20, 2014   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Hot pepper plants seem to repel nematodes. Adding fresh horse manure also helps a great deal. Pouring a layer of sugar over the ground and watering it in a week or two before planting will usually delay nematode damage.

The best solution is to plant varieties that have good nematode resistance. You can still plant some of your favorite varieties by grafting them onto nematode resistant rootstock.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #7
namwah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Hot pepper plants seem to repel nematodes. Adding fresh horse manure also helps a great deal. Pouring a layer of sugar over the ground and watering it in a week or two before planting will usually delay nematode damage.

The best solution is to plant varieties that have good nematode resistance. You can still plant some of your favorite varieties by grafting them onto nematode resistant rootstock.

Bill
the addition of composted horse manure I have use when it was easily available. It definitely helped. The marigold companion planting did not work. crop rotation helped. I'm going to try grafted plants next and in combination with others I think the damage will tolerable.
Old February 20, 2014   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default It can get complicated but here are some ideas

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=ho...yword_rollover