Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 24, 2007   #1
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Default Do some varieties have purple stems?

I planted 4 tomato plants early in containers. Two Ugly tomatoes (seeds from TGS) have very purple stems. They are growing nicely and even have blossoms starting to form. The other two I planted are Moskvich (seeds from TV member) and the stems are green. They also have blossoms forming. All 4 plants are in the same conditions, potting mix, etc. I was just wondering if purple stems are always a sign of a problem or if some varieties have purple stems all the time.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #2
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

It's known as anthocyanin, and is in the genes. It's common on pepper plants too, just look in the joints between stems/branches. And there are genes in many tomatoes that make it exhibit no red/purple stem coloring too.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've found that with the exception of two varieties, there tends to be a slightly purplish cast to the stems of tomato seedlings (and if the seed coat sticks to the cotyledons, the purple coloration is delayed until they fall off!). However, in Ildi and Malschor Isura (both yellow grape shaped tomatoes), the stems are very pale whitish green. Odd the things you notice when you stare at thousands of seedlings over many years!
Old April 25, 2007   #4
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Then of course there is the new blue tomato they have been talking about on here, which has purple/blue stems all the time- I think it was probably Vince-chemist that was talking about it, but cant quite remember.

Most tomato seedlings will exhibit reddish to purple stems if they get a little bit on the cool side/some more than others, but the minute you put them in a warmer environment they go back to a pale translucent green again- hardening them off for outside planting usually produces pink to purple stems.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #5
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

The plants I'm talking about are over 12" tall and were planted in containers about a month ago. They are no longer seedlings but pretty big plants with purple stems.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #6
CLa
Tomatovillian™

I have noticed that the well fertilized plants at home depot were all very thick stems, and very purple. I also bought some Sea Green potting mix, which had a slow release, was a terrible experience, over fertilized my plants, stunted many of them, but the ones that were not too affected still wee very purple as compared to a normal green to light green planted in my pure compost. So I think fertilizer at least is one cause of that if thats what your talking about. Dark green leaves and purple stems. My best guess
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote