Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 23, 2008   #1
Jeffery_Goss
Tomatovillian™

Default What's the lowdown (or high-up) on Italian Tree Tomatoes?

For almost 10 years I have been seeing these Rush Industries ads for "Italian Tree Tomatoes". They supposedly can grow to 15 feet high, need little pruning, taste like "old-fashioned" tomatoes, can bear 90 lbs./year, 2 lbs./fruit, and bear within 90 days of planting.

I have wondered a few things about Italian tree tomatoes:

1) Is it a hybrid or GMO introduction?

2) Can it be grown from seed? (Rush Industries always offers plants, but no seed.)

3) Why isn't it more popular than it is? Is there some "catch" that the ads don't tell us about? (As the saying goes, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.)

4) Is it an annual like other tomatoes, or a perennial like other trees?

5) Where does it grow?

With much curiosity,

Jeffery
Jeffery_Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

For almost 10 years I have been seeing these Rush Industries ads for "Italian Tree Tomatoes". They supposedly can grow to 15 feet high, need little pruning, taste like "old-fashioned" tomatoes, can bear 90 lbs./year, 2 lbs./fruit, and bear within 90 days of planting.

It goes by several other names as well, best known name is Climbing Trip-L Crop and was introduced by the Burgess seed Co many years ago and has been listed in the SSE Yearbook forever, almost. Any time there are Sunday news section pullouts with tomato offerings one should be wary.

As to Climbing Trip-L Crop:

I have wondered a few things about Italian tree tomatoes:

1) Is it a hybrid or GMO introduction?

Neither

2) Can it be grown from seed? (Rush Industries always offers plants, but no seed.)

Yes it can be grown from seed.

3) Why isn't it more popular than it is? Is there some "catch" that the ads don't tell us about? (As the saying goes, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.)

It's an ordinary variety that isn't all that great, IMO, and vines do not get 15 ft long. It is an ind.

4) Is it an annual like other tomatoes, or a perennial like other trees?

An annual like other tomato varieties. Known by the name Italian Tree it has nothing at all to do with trees, that's just hype. And there is a listing for Italian Tree in the SSE YEarbooks and it's never been popular and few list it. Only one person lists it as Italian Tree in the 2007 Yearbook and seed source was Totally Tomatoes as Italian Tree.

5) Where does it grow?

Anywhere that any tomato plant can grow.

Hope that helps a bit and above is my best guesstimate that Italian Tree and Climbing Trip-L Crop are the same variety. Sometimes it's been listed as red, sometimes pink, as to fruit color.
Old January 23, 2008   #3
bcday
Tomatovillian™

To add to what Carolyn said:

Any indeterminate tomato plant, not only this one, has the potential to reach 15 feet. My Black Cherry would have if I didn't start cutting it back at 10 feet.

No tomato plant needs to be pruned. To prune or not prune is completely up to the grower depending on the space available and personal preference. Many people don't prune their tomatoes, especially if the plants are grown in cages.

The name "Italian Tree Tomato" allows people to believe that the plant is entirely self-supporting at the height of 15 feet, like a real tree. It's not a tree, it's a long vine like other indeterminate tomatoes and it needs support unless you want to let it sprawl over the ground.

I am very wary of ads that say "up to" some size or quantity such as 2 lbs. or 2-3 bushels. CYA!

I really have to laugh at ads like this when "Grows indoors or outdoors" leads people to believe that the plants will produce 2-3 bushels of 2-lb. tomatoes indoors in less than 90 days. LOL. Indoors in a greenhouse maybe, but does the ad say that or does it lead you to believe that you can get those results indoors in the average home?

Yes, they can be grown from seed. In fact, the ad says "ready to sow with easy-to-follow instructions." That sounds to me like they are sending seeds.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2008   #4
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I grew the Climbing L one season; was at best average in taste, size of the fruit, and size of the plant; but again that was only for one season and in Zone 6
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2008   #5
Jeffery_Goss
Tomatovillian™

Is it true that the plant needs no support and is freestanding, like a tree?
Jeffery_Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2008   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery_Goss View Post
Is it true that the plant needs no support and is freestanding, like a tree?
No, that's not true as several folks have already posted above.

It's a typical indeterminate variety.
Old January 25, 2008   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hype! just hype! I saw that ad. if you've grown Brandywine, or Polish, or Stump of the World, you've grown a variety that probably looks just like what they are advertising. Indeterminate, potato leaf, large pink fruit. As others have stated here, it doesn't appear to have the superior flavor of the three I mention, however.
Old January 25, 2008   #8
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I grew it last year. It was a slow growing vine which set a few late fruit.
However, the photos you see with the grower having to use a 6 foot ladder to pick her tomatoes are wonderful!
They deserve a place along side the postcards with the big fish loaded on the boat trailer.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2010   #9
prizebull
Tomatovillian™

I just got my 'Burgess Trip-L-Crop climbing tomato' advertisement in a coupon mailing and I just have to get them because 'Only a $1.00 for a jumbo packet' how can you go wrong with 'HUGE scarlet red 6 " across...unequalled for slicing and canning...vines reach 12 to 18 feet... 2 bushels from 1 plant...catalog price $2.65
prizebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2010   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My brother spent a wad on these things one year against my advice but I'm stupid right.
When he asks me something anymore I just tell him to get lost he just wants to start an argument anyway.

As for the tree tomato on a good year if I let the vines of my other tomatoes keep going up and up it would be very common for me to use an 8 foot ladder to pick the fruit.
No I don't grow anything from these adds, I got ripped off when I was in the fourth grade with a skeleton I ordered and that was when I learned my lesson.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2010   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by prizebull View Post
I just got my 'Burgess Trip-L-Crop climbing tomato' advertisement in a coupon mailing and I just have to get them because 'Only a $1.00 for a jumbo packet' how can you go wrong with 'HUGE scarlet red 6 " across...unequalled for slicing and canning...vines reach 12 to 18 feet... 2 bushels from 1 plant...catalog price $2.65
Your kidding right?

Man have I got some seeds for you.
These little devils will get to 20 feet or more are a beutifull yellow pear shape.
The TREE will get to 3 feet in diamiter and are just loaded with fruit all summer long.
And even more they can be grown indoors or out.

Worth
Old January 19, 2010   #12
prizebull
Tomatovillian™

Send those seeds Worth ! It'll be great ,I'll only have to plant two seeds this year and I'll have all the toms I need.Best part I'll get them all within 90 days!
When I was small I just had to have a certain pair of shoes for school and my mother made sure I really wanted them because we only got one pair for the whole school year.I learned a lesson on buying quality versus style.I had foot pain for months.
Gene
prizebull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2010   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

SHOES

What kills me is for a boot made in the good ole USA that cost me $15 back in 75 now costs $200 and its made in the good ole Republic of China.

Worth
Old January 20, 2010   #14
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Not holding a grudge or anything, are ya Worth?

No I don't grow anything from these adds, I got ripped off when I was in the fourth grade with a skeleton I ordered and that was when I learned my lesson.
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011   #15
chesterewers
Tomatovillian™

Default Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
SHOES

What kills me is for a boot made in the good ole USA that cost me $15 back in 75 now costs $200 and its made in the good ole Republic of China.

Worth

I know! I bought a pair of georgia boots in december, it said guaranteed comfort or your money back, took it back had to wait 2 weeks for another size to come in it still didn't fit, I had to send it into the company for a refund, while waiting almost 3 months to finally get a refund I also discovered the boots were made in china! But its Georgia usa! Well finally got a pair of redwing boots for 60 bucks off ebay brand new, those always fit me well strangely enough tho the heat moldable insoles which I bought at the local shoe store, they say redwing had a big usa tag in the box but on the back it said made in Korea. So I am disappointed.
chesterewers is offline   Reply With Quote