Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 1, 2010   #1
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Default What would you say is causing this...

This is the only tomato damaged on the plant & it's only on the shaded side of the fruit. The other side is blemish free. The spots are superficial and can be scratched off with a fingernail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 175_0446.JPG (172.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 175_0450.JPG (147.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 175_0451.JPG (153.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 175_0452.JPG (198.2 KB, 41 views)
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010   #2
puzzley
Tomatovillian™

I'm certainly not sure, but it looks like feeding damage to me. Don't know what, but some kind of chewing insects Any potato beetles around? They will feed on tomatoes, and I've had a few this year....
puzzley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010   #3
RandyG
Tomatovillian™

It's bacterial spot. Probably the reason the shaded side is infected is that it stays wet longer than the non-shaded side and the free water favors the bacterial disease development. You can find lots of pictures showing bacterial fruit spot symptoms similar to this on the internet.
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010   #4
ssi912
Tomatovillian™

looks like juvenile army worm damage. the small army worms will munch on the flower bracts in my experience. but you say you can wipe the spots off? dont know what would cause that. spray some insecticide that will kill worms and such. process of elimination. the juvenile worms are really hard to see. almost translucent. good luck.
ssi912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010   #5
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

I think that RandyG is correct; that is bacterial spot (not speck). I've seen it here after several days of rain, especially in years where I've spaced plant rows closely together.

Further evidence to support this is that you're able to wipe off the spots. Army worms pierce the dermis and cause damage to the underlying tissue and it obviously couldn't be wiped off.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2010   #6
RandyG
Tomatovillian™

There are three different bacterial diseases that result in fruit lesions. Bacterial spot results in irregular shaped scabby brown lesions on the fruit that are raised above the fruit surface. Bacterial canker lesions are slightly raised and have a dark brown, small, round lesion in the center of the spot surrounded by a white halo resulting in what is termed a bird's eye spot. Bacterial speck has a slightly indented , small black pinpoint lesion with no halo around the lesion. Symptoms on foliage, fruit pedicels and the peduncle for the thee diseases can be somewhat similar so the easiest diagnosis of which bacterial disease is present is based on the differences in the fruit spots. These bacterial diseases, especially canker and spot, can be very devastating. Also, chemicals for effective control of bacterial diseases are limited and often not very effective. All of these diseases can be seed borne so having clean seed and following sanitation practices to prevent spread are important.
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote