Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 5, 2008   #1
theheatmiser
Tomatovillian™

Default Not sure if this should go under diseases or containers...

Hello all,

Heatmiser (a newbie) here with a question for all the seasoned professionals out there. I have some plants in containers and one plant in the "regular" ground. The varieties in the containers are Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, and a hybrid green variety. The one in the ground is Amish Paste.

It seems that all of my container tomato plants have some sort of bacterial/fungal disease. I think Krim has alterneria cancker and the others have some kind of bacterial spot/speck. While I realize that these bacterial problems are caused by a splash back of dirt during watering (because of improper mulching ) I don't understand why this would be happening only to the container plants.

The Amish paste that is in my slightly augmented "normal dirt" is fine. I mixed in a little peat moss, epsom salts and lots of coffee grounds. There is not one sign of any spotting, wilting or yellowing of the leaves. And this is the red clay soil of GA I'm talking about. Not the best type of soil for anything. It's planted next to some Bee Balm and that seems to be doing well also. Is the Amish Paste extremely hardy? All plants were watered in the same way and had the same improper mulch.

The container plants are planted in a mixture of peat moss and composted manure, with coffee grounds and some epsom salts added. I have basil planted with Krim and that seems to be doing fine as well.

I just don't understand this. Can someone give me some feedback? I have other young tomato plants that need to be permanently planted somewhere. I thought the container method was a way of keeping plants more disease free, but if this isn't the case then I will prepare my "in ground" dirt instead.

Thanks in advance,
Theheatmiser
theheatmiser is offline   Reply With Quote