Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 25, 2008   #1
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Default When do we change soil in containers

My containers still have miracle grow soil from last year. They are large containers. I use over one large bag of miracle grow soil for each container. Question: Does this soil have to be changed every year? 2) Can I get away with only changing half of the pot and leaving the bottom soil?

Elliot
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2008   #2
creister
Tomatovillian™

I don't know the size of your containers, but I have read on the Earthbox website on how to reuse the mix in an earthbox. So, I would think you would be all right. I would probably mix the old and new together real good. I have read that the problem with potting mixes as the soil breaks down is that the pores (read air spaces) in the soil disappear, therefore causing poor drainage. I hope this makes sense.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2008   #3
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

For me - I change the potting soil every season ...
I've tried using the same soil 2 years straight and did not have good results.

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2008   #4
JohnnyRock
Tomatovillian™

In order to improve drainage, you could take out a bit of the old mix, then mix in some sand, pearlite, and/or additional compost.
JohnnyRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2008   #5
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

My containers can take over 64 quarts of miracle grow. That the very large size bags. How deep do tomato roots go?
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2008   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Elliot,

The roots on my Cherokee Chocolate are down in the aeration bench and appear headed for the water below. The depth of the potting mix in my 31 gal container is approx 10".

A word of caution on using all Miracle Grow Potting Mix, if you have the kind with coir, (Moisture Control blue bag label), I found in my containers it was too "hot" (aggressive wicking), and wound up blending it 50/50% with plain Sta-Green potting mix, in order to keep my moisture meter in the "Moist" range.

I had to unload it all from 10 containers, then re-mix with the Sta-Green, which was time consuming. Just wanted to save you the same trouble.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote