Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 16, 2006   #1
Mireille
Tomatovillian™

Default Experience with Manfred Hahm

Is anyone ordered from them. They are in Germany. And do they send seeds to Canada. ?
Mireille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2006   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Hello Mireille, I have ordered seeds from Manfred. I do not know if he mails seed to Canada. When I purchase seeds from him I pay him in postage stamps. Normally he sends 10 seeds for 50 eurocents but don't quote me on that. If there is something you want, let me know and maybe I can help. Ami
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Manfred is a good friend of Reinhard Kraft and they work together.

Not that many folks order from him b'c his list is in German. I have no idea if he send to Canada.

In addition, if you look at it carefully many of the varieties are already offered at commercial seed sites here in the US as well as the SSE Yearbook b'c Reinhard gets many of his varieties thru SSE, or used to anyway. I know I've sent him way over 100 varieties just so he can keep them going.

Is there something you must have that only Manfred has?
Old October 17, 2006   #4
Mireille
Tomatovillian™

Default Manfred Hahm

Hi Carolyn,

It it not that I want to buy in Germany, if I find what in USA than I'll buy in USA. Tell me where. I know Rare seeds - Tomato Fest - Tomato Growers - Marianna's Heirloom - Sand Hill. By the way, can I buy seeds from the Seed Saver Catalog, if yes, where can I get this catalog ? I'll send you a PM for what I want. Thanks.

Mireille
Old October 17, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

By the way, can I buy seeds from the Seed Saver Catalog, if yes, where can I get this catalog ? I'll send you a PM for what I want. Thanks.

The website for SSE is seedsavers.org and you can read there if Canada is considered separately from other non-US companies where there's a $100 minimum.

The public catalog is not going to have much of what you want.

What you need to do is to become an SSE member in order to find many of the varieties you listed on your PM to me.

And quite a few of them are already available at Sandhill Preservation and other commercial places.

Your list is long and I really don't have the time to go thru it variety by variety to locate all the varieties you want. That's research that I think you can do.

And several have also been listed as grown from Reinhard by Craig, for instance, such as Mausohr ( mouse ear) which is nothing special.

I checked the varieties wanted and don't see your list there.

If it were me I'd try to find out more info about them before I try to locate and buy them.

Do you have the Ventmarin website that i and others have posted here before? At least that would give you an idea of some of them as to specific traits.

Do you read German or are you just intrigued with some of the names regardless of what the variety really is in terms of being something unique and special other than a new name you haven't seen before?

At least pictures for most of them should be at Reinhard's site, which you must have if you linked to Manfred and his seeds.

Again, your best bet is to become an SSE member b'c that's where the largest number of varieties are listed, and I really don't have the time to go thru the Yearbooks looking for all the varieties you listed in that PM.

And as I said, several are already available commercially here in the US.

Does that help at all? I'm trying, yes I am, but I don't think I want to take the time, which would take a lot of time, to go thru that long list you sent me variety by variety to locate each and every one for you.

And again, you might consider listing them in the varieties wanted Forum to see if anyone reading there has any of them, for as I said, several are rather common, such as Nicky Crain, which is at Sandhill as well.

But if it were me I'd want to know if they were worthwhile before purchasing them rather than just collecting by name alone, which is something I used to do for a long time but it also meant planting a lot of varieties that in the end were essentially worthless, as I see it.
Old October 17, 2006   #6
Mireille
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato seeds

I already check the vrieties one by one on Vent Marin, that is why I want them. Thanks I'll try to locate them in the US.
Old November 11, 2006   #7
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Manfred used to distribute seeds grown by Reinhard Kraft who is more into growing and breeding work then and now. As far as Reinhard has told me before he is delighted with having opportunity to delier and exchange seeds with some core members of SSE and usually Manfred and Reinhard have enough seed requests from Germany and Europe. Probably they serve requests from other countries not so often since their web-sites (as was mentioned by Carolyn) only in German.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #8
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Way late to reply but you can easily translate any blocks of text with babelfish and Manfred converses in excellent English. I got tomatoes from him last year and was very pleased. Sent cash. Took about 10 days.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2007   #9
bluelytes
Tomatovillian™

Mireille,
If you are having problems getting things up there, lemme know, (by email, please), and I will see if I can help.

Regards;
bluelytes
bluelytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2007   #10
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

I've worked with Manfred for the last four years and only once got the wrong seeds (Indian Moon from him is wrong).

I began dealing with him because of the price, for about 75cents he will send up to 20 seeds. You only need one so why spend more.

Michael
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2007   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(Indian Moon from him is wrong).

I had to chuckle on that one a bit.

Why? B/c I originally got that variety from Joe Bratka many years ago and its been listed in the SSE Yearbooks forever.

Over the years I've sent maybe 300 varieties to Reinhard and I know that Indian Moon was one of them.

I have so many varieties that I just couldn't keep fresh stock for and Reinhard was so willing to want them and keep them going, so that's how Indian Moon got to Reinhard/Manfred.

What was wrong with the Indian Moon that you got? Just curious.
Old August 18, 2007   #12
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I got it a 3 or 4 years ago. I was a prolific beautiful dwarf with rugose foliage and 1oz. yellow cherries just like Reinhard's picture. I have since renamed it Ena Mae as my mother just loves it.

I did find the real Indian Moon in 04 from Jerry Luebbe.

By the way how did you like my Tee Mo Or and Maiden's Kiss.

Michael
Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2009   #13
kd3
Tomatovillian™

I ordered from Manfred Hahm last week, he has a large selection of tomatoes, and a variety of peppers & other fruit/vegetables. Using an online webpage translator it was easy enough to review his list. I sent payment in a registered letter from Canada, which he received in a couple of days, and my order is shipping back today in less than 1 week :-)) I will update once I receive my order, but all has gone smoothly and quickly thus far, and he is highly responsive and very nice to deal with . kd
kd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2009   #14
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3 View Post
I ordered from Manfred Hahm last week, he has a large selection of tomatoes, and a variety of peppers & other fruit/vegetables. Using an online webpage translator it was easy enough to review his list. I sent payment in a registered letter from Canada, which he received in a couple of days, and my order is shipping back today in less than 1 week :-)) I will update once I receive my order, but all has gone smoothly and quickly thus far, and he is highly responsive and very nice to deal with . kd
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. Diversity of seed sellers is just as important as the diversity of tomato varieties available to grow out.

It would be a real shame if the seed selling market were to come under the control of a small handful of commercial giants.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2009   #15
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Normally, on the variety, Manfred usually sends between 5-10 seeds per variety. He is NOT a commercial vendor but a serious hobby gardener who collects and sells seeds mostly from Rheinhard Kraft. Ami