Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2019   #1
jhouse
Tomatovillian™

Default Soggy tomatoes how to feed

we've had record rainfall in Ohio -- my garden is soggy!

It's been a little over 3 weeks since planting, I used 1/3 Happy Frog potting soil, 1/3 of a compost called "Moonure" (with cow manure) and 1/3 native soil. (My sister's advice from a few years back).

Thought soggy, my plants are looking pretty healthy, mulched with straw -- I'm thinking it may be time to feed, and I've got liquid Texas Tomato Food, but how to feed with them so wet? Should I feed with a dry fertilizer, or leave them be? They have a few blossoms but no fruit set yet --

I will be going out today to get a soil sample kit, I know I should've done that earlier this year but better late than never. I do know we have a lot of clay here!

thanks!

Jan
jhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2019   #2
PlainJane

Jan, I’m grappling with the same issue.
Here in N. Florida the weather has settled into the daily torrential downpour with about 1000% humidity and I’m way overdue for a TTF feed. I’m growing in a 5-1-1 mix so feeding is critical. I’m holding out for just 1 day without rain, which we may get tomorrow; then I’ll go ahead.
You’ve got some leeway as your mix is richer to start with.
Old June 20, 2019   #3
jhouse
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear that PlainJane! This year is one for the record books. . .
jhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2019   #4
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I have those fertilizer spikes meant for house plants time release but way to many plants
to try that.3/4 inch of rain since last night and supposed to rain again tomorrow.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019   #5
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

I imagine you are only applying a few quarts of finished solution to each plant?
Not sure what the bottle says, but should not be a big deal.
In other words, you just need the water to be the carrier of the fert you mix in according to the rate you want to apply to each plant. I doubt you would be using, say, a gallon per plant.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Why not just use some granular fert (like Tomato Tone) that you just scratch into the soil? I would be loath to use any more water than absolutely necessary with all the rain...….

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

What I do when they absolutely need fertilizer when it is too wet is give them a dose using TTF at 1 oz to the gallon or even up to 2 oz to the gallon but the soil needs to be really wet for that strength and you have to remember to cut back the total amount you use.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2019   #8
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Mulch.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote