Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 25, 2018   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Sick leaves

Out of two Red Robins, one is perfect with dark green leaves, the other has lighter leaves and all the lower ones look dried out and curled. The upper leaves look ok. Pictures show first the bad ones, then the plant from the top.

Another variety that looks bad (all three plants) is Cherry Roma. Any ideas what this could be? These plants have not been outside!

Linda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5250001 (1).jpg (360.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg P5250002 (1).jpg (427.7 KB, 126 views)
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #2
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

My best guess is soggy feet... too much water. But it's just a guess.

Edit: Are those two pictures of the Cherry Roma?

Last edited by Koala Doug; May 25, 2018 at 04:58 PM.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Have they been sprayed with anything?
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Fungus.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm usually more guilty of under watering than over watering.

The pic is of the Red Robins and they haven't been sprayed with anything.

Fungus? Do I blame the potting soil for this?

They started out in regular Pro Mix and were potted up with Pro Mix "all-purpose" (bought at the end of last season. Didn't get wet).

Linda
Old May 26, 2018   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

So they're not burnt. Not sure what fungus it could be.
Maybe water them well to wash the medium in case it's some toxicity, and take them outside for more air circulation, not really sure what else to recommend.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

All it takes is morning dew, are your mornings cool?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

No morning dew as the Red Robins haven't been outside at all. They get the sunniest spot on the windowsills.

The Cherry Roma's have been outside for a few days hardening off, in fact one looked so awful when I retrieved it from under the lights, that I isolated it from the pack and left it outside at night time too. I wasn't sure whether to just toss it, then I noticed that the other CR's also looked bad .

Linda
Old May 26, 2018   #9
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Linda, you MAY be going through the same thing my plants went through earlier this year.

1-It starts with the lower leaves and spreads until the main stem, the leaf branch will be come weak and very easy to remove
2-Moves bottom up
3-The leaves turn yellow/white becoming crunchy and disintegrate in your hand

If this is the case, this is a fungus most likely caused by mold, check your windows.

Cheers
Banadoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #10
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post

The pic is of the Red Robins

What is your source? I only ask because those don't look like Red Robin plants to me. I have grown them for many years (this is the first year that I chose not to do so as I am growing KARMA Pink instead) and got it direct from the breeder, Sakata. Those images almost appear potato leaf instead of regular leaf (my eyes could be deceiving me!) and the plant is stretched out and sparse. Red Robin is so dense that you can't even see the main stem unless you use both hands to move the foliage... and they top out at 12" max. Here is a link to a picture of three Red Robin plants in each container: http://trialgardenspsu.com/image.php...ica&shade_pic=

It still looks like oxygen deprivation and root damage due to excess water to me. All the classic signs of it are present: Leaves curling under, foliage turning lighter, yellowing/necrosis starting at the lowest leaves, etc.

If I were you, I'd pot them up into larger containers and put them outside (weather permitting as I don't know what part of southern Ontario you are in). In any case, I wish you the best of luck and hope your plants recover!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #11
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Koala Doug, I think you are right. I think this may be a stray seed because its litter mate has always been a noticably darker green with more crinkly, substantial leaves. This one is almost twice the height of the other! They are not PL at least .

Red Robin wouldn't need a larger container, but this one would if it's an imposter! I can put them outside and see what happens. Not sure I want to bother with a sickly imposter

Thanks,
Linda
Old May 26, 2018   #12
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banadoura View Post
Linda, you MAY be going through the same thing my plants went through earlier this year.

1-It starts with the lower leaves and spreads until the main stem, the leaf branch will be come weak and very easy to remove
2-Moves bottom up
3-The leaves turn yellow/white becoming crunchy and disintegrate in your hand

If this is the case, this is a fungus most likely caused by mold, check your windows.

Cheers
Bandoura, there's a scary thought! I have a tiny bit of black mold which forms on the bottoms of the windows from condensation in the winter. My grow lights are in the basement which can also get moldy if we don't run the dehumidifier.... Food for thought!

Were all your plants affected or just a few?

Is your growing medium the same as mine by any chance? It was the Pro Mix in the blue and pink bag.

Thanks,
Linda