Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2017   #1
Marcsky
Tomatovillian™

Default Which tomatoes have a peach-like taste?

I love the flavor of tomatoes and peaches. Which heirloom tomatoes have the best of both worlds?
Marcsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #2
Marcsky
Tomatovillian™

I should clarify my post. Not including cherry tomatoes. Looking for the slicers, beefsteaks, and larger tomatoes.
Old May 1, 2017   #3
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

I read about a peach flavoured tomato on a gardening blog and decided to grow it last year it was called Dr Carolyn Pink. It's original yellow ones are cherry tomato but it's unstable and the pink ones I grew were bigger. Really loved their deep sweet taste, not sure I'd describe them as having a peach flavour myself but taste is subjective and I'm definitely growing them again this year anyway.
kevrow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #4
Marcsky
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I'll look into that one. The tomato doesn't have to taste exactly like a peach (otherwise I can just buy a peach!) but a hint or memory of a peach-like flavor. I read on another thread that Orange Jazz tomato has a peach-like flavor. What about the varieties that have the word 'Peach' in their name? Does that just refer to that they look like a peach, or have peach-like fuzz on the skin?
Old May 1, 2017   #5
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

Of the ones I've seen, I think they do refer to their furry skin or colour. I've also got some tomato seeds from the Ukraine ready for trying next year. They are ananasnyy and belyy vishnya which are supposed to taste of Pineapple and Cherry respectively. Pity it's a little bit late in the UK to sow them, I might try one or two seeds each just to see if I get anything.
Old May 1, 2017   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There is a tomato variety called Fuzzy Peach, but I have no idea how it tastes.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #7
shule1

I've tried Wapsipinicon Peach. It didn't taste like a peach, but it may have some similar nutritive properties due to the similar coloring. It was the color of a peach, however. It was fuzzy, but not as fuzzy as a peach. It wasn't the size of a peach (maybe a little smaller than golf-ball-sized).

I'm trying Bushy Chabarovsky, this year, which is said to be fuzzy when green. It's pink (not peach), though. I'm not sure about its taste.

Partially unripe Sweet Ozark Orange tomatoes taste kind of like peaches to me (but it might have sometihng to do with the tomatine due to being unripe, which probably isn't a chemical you want to eat in large quantities). They're a large tomato. It's a good variety.

I've had tomatoes that tasted and/or smelled like other fruits and/or foods, though:

* Glacier (smelled like a blackberry as I ate it; it was pretty surprising and awesome, but it did taste very much like a tomato)
* Jackie (late-season fruits tasted like Sweet Tarts or sweet grapefruit)
* Sugar Lump and Husky Cherry Red F2 (it's hard to describe these, but at least some of the fruit tasted pretty awesome, in a sweet sort of way)
* A tomato that was supposed to be Jim Dandy, but turned out to be an enormous multiflora, regular leaf, bush tomato with very abundant cherry-sized yellow tomatoes (nippled) similar in appearance to Yellow Riesentraube (some of them tasted like butterscotch)—I don't know if it's true to type, but if anyone wants seeds to try it out, I'm sure I can supply them. The plant was very vigorous, even in tough soil. It didn't appear to require staking until late in the season. I don't know what Jim Dandy might have crossed with to produce a bushy multiflora cherry, and I don't know any varieties that match it (if seeds got mixed up); I don't know of any multiflora bush tomatoes besides this one (but it's really an awesome trait; people should breed more multiflora bushes). I expect the flavor may have come from Jim Dandy (but I've never tried the true variety; it is supposed to taste fruity, though).

As far as peppers go, I've found some that taste like other fruits:

* Orange Carbonero (tastes kind of like peaches)
* Orange Habanero (has a citrus taste)
* Aji Omnicolor (has a fruity taste)
* Georgescu Chocolate, and some other varieties (can sometimes taste like cherries; they don't always have this taste, and it might have more to do with growing conditions than the variety)
Old May 1, 2017   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrow73 View Post
I read about a peach flavoured tomato on a gardening blog and decided to grow it last year it was called Dr Carolyn Pink. It's original yellow ones are cherry tomato but it's unstable and the pink ones I grew were bigger. Really loved their deep sweet taste, not sure I'd describe them as having a peach flavour myself but taste is subjective and I'm definitely growing them again this year anyway.
That's a surpise tome,since I know Dr.Carolyn Pink verywell.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Dr._Carolyn_Pink

The original Dr.Carolyn was not yellow it was ivory colored for most and no I didn't name a variety after myself either.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Dr._Carolyn

And I never tasted anything peach-like for either the pink or the white or for many of the other fruit named ones such as Peach Blow Sutton

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Peach_Blow_Sutton

or Nectarine

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Nectarine

But what the heck if a varity does taste peachy,go for it.

Carolyn
Old May 2, 2017   #9
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I would say Garden peach, it's very nice and definito 'peach like' in texture and taste. (prolific too, but the most BER susceptible for me that year..)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #10
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

I tried both Dr Carolyn's last year and come to think of it , they were more ivory than yellow sorry. I preferred the pink ones personally and as I said would not call the taste peachy myself.
Strange that the seeds that I sourced in the UK were selected by the suppliers to produce large Pink fruit while Tatiana's tomatobase recommends keeping seeds from small tomatoes for the best taste.

Kevin
Old May 2, 2017   #11
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I think the tomatoes with 'peach' in name are about the colour or fuzziness not taste. I personally never tasted anything that I would say had a hint of peach. Maybe if they're overripe.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #12
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Orange Jazz. Productive, juicy and peach-like texture. Had a bit of a hard core in my garden. Great tomato. Growing them again this year.

Cloz
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
I'm trying Bushy Chabarovsky, this year, which is said to be fuzzy when green. It's pink (not peach), though. I'm not sure about its taste.
Did you get the seed from me? I grew it in the garden one year, and it was the best tomato of the year. The next year, I grew two plants in the early spring in the greenhouse, in buckets, and it was the worst tomato I have ever grown, spongy dimpled, dry flesh. It was not anything like the year previous. I have no idea if it was the cold spring, or if there was a problem with the seed. Charline in France had a bad experience from the seed I sent her, but I believe she also had a cold wet spring like me.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #14
creister
Tomatovillian™

Very ripe Sweet Ozark Orange have a very fruity taste. Not sure if it is exactly peach.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #15
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Did you get the seed from me? I grew it in the garden one year, and it was the best tomato of the year. The next year, I grew two plants in the early spring in the greenhouse, in buckets, and it was the worst tomato I have ever grown, spongy dimpled, dry flesh. It was not anything like the year previous. I have no idea if it was the cold spring, or if there was a problem with the seed. Charline in France had a bad experience from the seed I sent her, but I believe she also had a cold wet spring like me.
That's great to know about potential differences in taste. By the time our tomatoes are transplanted in the garden, it tends to be hot and dry, or almost hot and dry, at least. I've got a few out now experimentally, though. The rain seems to have finally stopped, and it's warm enough to plant tomatoes, but it's not hot, yet. I plan to plant them directly in the ground, in with the determinate and dwarf tomatoes. I probably won't do much container gardening this year, except for peppers (peppers seem to love containers here for some reason), pepino melons, and things.

I got my Bushy Chabarovsky seeds from Barb_FL's 2017 SASE offer.

Last edited by shule1; May 2, 2017 at 03:49 PM.