Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 10, 2016   #1
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Default one or more virus? Verticillium and Fusarium?

So I think this is FW but I may have other problems too. Everything is affected except for some reason the Principie Borghese is still holding up. If this is soil borne then I am essentially done.
Maybe the Roma VF will hold up in this and I may try that next year.

It starts off with leaves yellowing then browning and dying. The small plant was transplanted only last week, it was perfect when I put it out and we have had no rain since. I only watered with drip.
If it is Verticillium and or Fusarium then Im not sure what else to do if there is anything I can do beyond starting all over again. Any suggestions is appreciated
IMG_20160610_075857834_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160608_075518836.jpg

IMG_20160610_075523974.jpg

IMG_20160610_075841615_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160610_075640224.jpg

IMG_20160610_075726795.jpg
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2016   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

How sad for you. Here maybe this link will help some.

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0797/ANR-0797.pdf

I'm sure other folks may know much better what is going on and advice for you.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #3
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

So I figured it out I think. I still dont know what exactly has destroyed my tomato patch, but it seems I introduced it. Some sort of mold or fungus was on the wood stakes I used for the sticky traps. When cleaning the yard yesterday I moved the rest of the unused wood stakes into the garage but I noticed the pointed end of the stakes were discolored with either mold or fungus looking stuff. Question now is, how do I get rid of it? Or can I get rid of it...
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I don't think your problem came from moldy stakes but rather from fusarium wilt. An easy test is to cut the stem of a yellowing or wilted stem and see if it has brown or dark yellow areas in the vascular tissue. Some plants have much more resistance to fusarium than others and you may also have some spots in your garden that are not affected by it yet. You could go out and get an Amelia plant which is very resistant to fusarium and replace on of the sick plants with it and see how it fares. The tomatoes don't taste so good but it is very disease tolerant.

You could also take a dying plant to your county agricultural agent and see if they can tell you what the problem is. Sorry for your problems.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #5
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Not that it's impossible to spread soilborne diseases on stakes if they were previously in infected soil, but visible mold living on wood is not going to be the source of tomato disease. There are tens of thousands if not hundred of thousands of species of molds, which doesn't even count other forms of fungal organisms that may resemble mold at some point in their life cycle, and the strains of V and F that affect tomatoes comprise only 2 species. Are there any that decompose wood AND cause tomato disease? I don't think so. So please don't beat yourself up. It's more likely, if the wilt is new to your garden, that it came in on bought plants or seed or that it was just in your soil and now is the year that it's built up to damaging levels.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #6
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I believe the incredibly wet Spring around here, combined with cloudy skies and high temps in the low 80s for much of the month May lead to an abundance of disease issues. I've been battling right along with you and my plants mostly still look awful, just in a different way than what you've got.

Those yellow leaves do look like pics of fusarium wilt, which is not good news as it resides in the soil. The picture with the close up of a lot of crispy leaves looks like something else going on. Could be a mold. Could be spidermites finishing off the weakened plant.

Do the stem test Bill suggested. If you have FW, you may want to consider going with Earthtainers in the future. They'll still get a lot of different diseases and insects, but you can eliminate the overwintering infections like F.W. Should it ever get into the growing medium (so far, never a problem for me after several years of E.T.s), you just change out the grow medium for the next season.

Possibly consider soil testing: http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/
Not sure what all they will test for, but, you could know what you've got, rather than speculate.

Dewayne
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote