Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 17, 2016   #1
glorilang
Tomatovillian™

Default ebay

ebay dealers reputable?
glorilang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorilang View Post
ebay dealers reputable?
Some are and for sure some are not.

Off hand if I were buying seeds I wouldn't use e-bay as my seed source.

Also,the bidding can get ridiculous with folks who don't know better paying far too much for seeds.The same thing happens with those who sell seeds off Amazon.

There are many outstanding seed vendors with websites, many of them Tville members and I would suggest that you might take a look at them first. They are listed in this same Forum.

There used to be a couple of really good folks who sold only off e-bay but I have no idea if they are still active,and the one I know the best is no longer active and actually sold her seed stash to someone else, and that's Maria Stegner from KY.

Hope this helps,

Carolyn
Old February 17, 2016   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I think Angel Field is OK, isn't it, Carolyn?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I think Angel Field is OK, isn't it, Carolyn?
I'm not so sure Marsha.

I've known Joyce for many years and she has very publicaly said she is dyslectic, and I understand that since I've taught several folks who were also dyslectic.

I'm pretty sure, but not positive that the seeds would be Ok, but some of her histories are way off base and I've tried to help her with that in the past. The main problem being that she had asked others to do research for her, understandable with her dyslexia, and they were not the right ones to ask.

I don't think I've seen her posting here in a very long time and her seed site is not listed in the plant Forum source nor in the compnies that M put up but that one is way out of date now IMO/

For me it would depend on who the other e-bay sellers might be and since I only went there,until lately,when someone asked me to do so to check out something that was listed I have no idea of who the sellers are now

Carolyn
Old February 17, 2016   #5
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I have to say that I was very lucky to get many seeds from Maria/blueribbontomatoes on eBay. She was collecting and preserving local tomato varieties for years. One of such varieties is Grandfather Ashlock. It is an excellent pink variety. I have being growing it for some time now. The other one I really love is Claude Brown’s Yellow Giant.
Maria does not sell tomato seeds anymore. But she gave her collection to a Lucky Clover Farm owners. They also "acquired 100's of seed packs from the personal collection of Gary Millwood" according to them.
If they continue Maria's work it would be nice.
I agree with Carolyn, it depends WHO is selling seeds.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #6
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorilang View Post
ebay dealers reputable?
J & L sells seeds on EBay.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
J & L sells seeds on EBay.
Oh Golly!!! Don't tempt me, just dont!
Nope! Not gonna say 1 single word.
Old February 17, 2016   #8
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Why, think of the possibilities!!
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks for saying not a single word but asking if you want to consider editing out your icons ?

Carolyn
Old February 17, 2016   #10
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I'm not so sure Marsha.

I've known Joyce for many years and she has very publicaly said she is dyslectic, and I understand that since I've taught several folks who were also dyslectic.

I'm pretty sure, but not positive that the seeds would be Ok, but some of her histories are way off base and I've tried to help her with that in the past. The main problem being that she had asked others to do research for her, understandable with her dyslexia, and they were not the right ones to ask.

I don't think I've seen her posting here in a very long time and her seed site is not listed in the plant Forum source nor in the compnies that M put up but that one is way out of date now IMO/

For me it would depend on who the other e-bay sellers might be and since I only went there,until lately,when someone asked me to do so to check out something that was listed I have no idea of who the sellers are now

Carolyn
Angel Field looks perfectly fine to me. Has a 99.5% or 99.8% or something like that positive feedback out of hundreds of reviews if I remember correctly.The only negative one was someone who probably did not know how to germinate seeds in the first place and she offered to replace the seeds at no cost.She also has a website and last I looked was selling tomatoes for 1.99 a pack and free shipping.Also puts netting over her plants to deter cross pollination..

http://www.angelfieldfarms.com/store..._Products.html

I wonder which varieties she has the history wrong on?Could it be Indian Stripe and Indian Zebra?Certainly not, I think as everyone should be perfectly clear on those two.No confusion there

Last edited by seaeagle; February 17, 2016 at 07:32 PM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #11
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

I didn't realize that Blue Ribbon Tomatoes was out of commission until the other day. I sent her a message on ebay and she told me that she had moved and was no longer selling seeds. She had some great varieties with Kentucky roots and will be missed. I was very happy with the two orders that I received from her.

I ordered some seeds from Papadennis on ebay this year. Everything was packaged nicely, he shipped my order right away, and sent a free gift (an extra packet of seeds). He has a big selection of heirloom tomatoes and the seeds are only $1.50 per pack. Up to this point I am very happy with my purchase but I won't really know until I see the final product well into the growing season. You are definitely taking a chance when you buy seeds from ebay but there are some great sellers there too, you just have to find them.
Christa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa B. View Post
I didn't realize that Blue Ribbon Tomatoes was out of commission until the other day. I sent her a message on ebay and she told me that she had moved and was no longer selling seeds. She had some great varieties with Kentucky roots and will be missed. I was very happy with the two orders that I received from her.

I ordered some seeds from Papadennis on ebay this year. Everything was packaged nicely, he shipped my order right away, and sent a free gift (an extra packet of seeds). He has a big selection of heirloom tomatoes and the seeds are only $1.50 per pack. Up to this point I am very happy with my purchase but I won't really know until I see the final product well into the growing season. You are definitely taking a chance when you buy seeds from ebay but there are some great sellers there too, you just have to find them.
The link to Maria's new website where she transferred her seeds to is in the Seed and Plant source Forum.

Papa Dennis should be great as well.

it's nice to learn that some of the folks I do know are now selling off of e-bay.

Carolyn
Old February 17, 2016   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Angel Field looks perfectly fine to me. Has a 99.5% or 99.8% or something like that positive feedback out of hundreds of reviews if I remember correctly.The only negative one was someone who probably did not know how to germinate seeds in the first place and she offered to replace the seeds at no cost.She also has a website and last I looked was selling tomatoes for 1.99 a pack and free shipping.Also puts netting over her plants to deter cross pollination..

I wonder which varieties she has the history wrong on?Could it be Indian Stripe and Indian Zebra?Certainly not, I think as everyone should be perfectly clear on those two.No confusion there
I know she has a website and I once had the URL so could you please link to it here so others could also see it.

As to wrong histories,I haven't a clue as to which ones I helped her with,too many years ago and I don't think it was the IS/IZ situation.

Her main interest has always been varieties grown in her own area that were in some way connected to what the slaves grew,but since I haven't seen her website lately I don't really know what she now lists.

Carolyn
Old February 17, 2016   #14
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn. Good to know!
Christa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #15
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Thanks for saying not a single word but asking if you want to consider editing out your icons ?

Carolyn
Nah, I kinda like em. But aren't you proud of my restraint? Hehe.