Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 1, 2015   #1
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Default When To Stop Fertilizing Tomatoes?

After a roller coaster season of weather here in NE Ohio, my first real wave of ripe tomatoes is happening now. Lots of cracks and am learning it has a lot to do with irregular watering (thanks to the Big Weather God) and first hot, then cool, then hot again.. However, some mention that fertilizing can do this, too.

I have a honking crop of huge ones, but very few intact.

My fertilizing schedule has been alternating weekly half-strength applications of TTF, then Neptune's Harvest fish/seaweed, w/ every 5th week a 1/2 strength app. of MG Tomato 18-18-21.

When should I stop?
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2015   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

When and if I grow large round maters I like to stop ferts after the blushing of color,by this point the mater is formed brix is in and the sun will do the rest.Since I grow in containers I will also keep watering at a minimal amount as to not get that watered down mater taste.Ferts for me are just to optimize foiliar,flowering,fruit set.Cherry maters are different in a sense that they need ferts for continual growth but careful water management for some of the thinner skinned varieties(prevents splitting)These are from continual observations and results here in humid.wet,blistering sun conditions(10B) southern Florida.Locations,weather,cultural practices,growing regimens may vary IMO.Flushing out(ferts/salts) at the close of growth seems to diminish any other tastes not expected in a mater.

Last edited by kurt; September 1, 2015 at 06:02 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2015   #3
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

If the plants are healthy enough to keep setting, I don't stop ferts until the end of August. Real mater flavor starts going down hill fast here in September due to less sunlight. By the first of October maters taste bland and are watery.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2015   #4
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

My maters have mostly tuckered out. I am only feeding the ones that have a chance to finish up the half-grown green ones. Even then...I have cut them way back. The plants are on "final approach".
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2015   #5
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I don't start fertilizing tomatoes... My philosophy towards plants is that if they can't grow well in my garden exactly like it is, then they are unsuited to my growing conditions, and they don't get a second chance.

With my short season, the tomatoes are still growing like crazy for another week or two until the fall frosts take them out.

Last edited by joseph; September 2, 2015 at 10:46 AM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2015   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I change fertilizers from one part of the season to the next. I mixed fert for the injector the other day and put 12-48-10 and 9-15-30 in the same bucket then left it to water the garden... everything. for the next 4 hours. As long as I have weather to grow I fertilize for blossom and root growth but not much nitrogen.