Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 19, 2016   #1
mercedesguy
Tomatovillian™

Default Benefits of Earthworms.

Are there any studies or does anyone have
experience of adding earthworms to soil
both in garden and container grown plants?
mercedesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about any study but EW digest things like leaves and poo worm casting. They also aerate the soil.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

To keep a good population of earthworms you need several things. You need to keep the soil moist and cool so a good heavy protective mulch is very helpful. They need something to eat. I have found that all you have to do is add a lot of cottonseed meal and alfalfa pellets to your beds before each season and no chemical dry fertilizers then put down a heavy mulch and keep adequately watered and you will have worms. Adding good compost helps also. I did find years ago that adding large amounts of dry chemical fertilizers would destroy the worm population after a few seasons. I found no problems using Miracle Grow which is applied with a lot of water. At the end of the season when I rake up my mulch to get the beds ready for fall and winter crops I find a nice thick layer of worm castings just under the mulch and an abundance of worms. Sure I kill plenty of them when I turn the beds but there must be a lot that make it through the tilling because each year it seems I get more.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #4
Antipodean
Tomatovillian™

I don't really don't think you need to add earth worms, if you have enough organic matter they will come all by themselves.

It's like the movie Field of Dreams - build it and they will come

Last edited by Antipodean; May 21, 2016 at 11:05 PM.
Antipodean is offline   Reply With Quote