Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2015   #1
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow Submarine or Yellow Pear ?

Is there really that much of a difference ???

Some are saying that yellow Submarine tastes better and is PL

Many do not like the flavour of yellow Pear in the first place ...

but it is very adaptive in heat and and end of season holds in there and is RL .

I also grow Fargo as a Yellow pear ......

Is Yellow Submarine ...really that much better ???
Old June 25, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Is there really that much of a difference ???

Some are saying that yellow Submarine tastes better and is PL

Many do not like the flavour of yellow Pear in the first place ...

but it is very adaptive in heat and and end of season holds in there and is RL .

I also grow Fargo as a Yellow pear ......

Is Yellow Submarine ...really that much better ???
I've grown both and I think it's best for you to grow both in the same season where you grow your tomatoes, and how you grow your tomatoes and all the many vaiables that go into taste and flesh consistency,etc., rather than asking others what they think since you have no idea of the when and how and what and why applies to others.

just a gentle suggestion,

Carolyn
Old June 25, 2015   #3
sccdominant
Tomatovillian™

Im having great success with yellow pear..been super hot over here in socal and it is doing great!!!
sccdominant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2015   #4
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

You mean to say that you grow Yellow Pear Tomatoes that have taste. Mine were always "tasteless." Even Cluj had more taste.

MikeInCypress
Old June 26, 2015   #5
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I've grown both and I think it's best for you to grow both in the same season where you grow your tomatoes, and how you grow your tomatoes and all the many vaiables that go into taste and flesh consistency,etc., rather than asking others what they think since you have no idea of the when and how and what and why applies to others.

just a gentle suggestion,

Carolyn
ha ha ha .........sighhhhhhh

you are right Carolyn .....

I guess I just wanted to hear from a few others as ...actually I value Yellow pear much as a

garden staple and Yellow Submarine seems to get some good press .

It would seem I will have to wait for this actual "on the ground" information till next year

or annex another plot ...ha ha ha

"so many Tomatoes ...so little time "
Old June 26, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

BlackBear, there is a tomato that looks like Yellow Pear (YP) that I grew this spring. It is the same size, color, and shape as YP. It is called Medovaya Kaplya, It produces well and tastes very good.

I have read that Yellow Submarine is a lot like YP but with improved flavor. There is another called Submarine Blush that is a cross between Yellow Submarine and Blush tomatoes. I have not grown either of these, but I did add them to my wish list. I need to find seeds for them.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
BlackBear, there is a tomato that looks like Yellow Pear (YP) that I grew this spring. It is the same size, color, and shape as YP. It is called Medovaya Kaplya, It produces well and tastes very good.

I have read that Yellow Submarine is a lot like YP but with improved flavor. There is another called Submarine Blush that is a cross between Yellow Submarine and Blush tomatoes. I have not grown either of these, but I did add them to my wish list. I need to find seeds for them.
Yes, yes, Yes, for Medovaya Kaplya:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Medovaya_Kaplya

I got my seeds from Andrey in Belarus and was the first to list it in the SSE Yearbooks and offered it for several years in my annual seed offers here. I always described the fruits as looking like they were tied at the top, like a pocketbook, Tania's pictures did not show that so let me see if I can get some more images.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...23.DpeCzOeZ-ns

Not all that are shown are Medovaya Kaplya but there are several pictures shown with them on the vine that better show the fruit form.

You MUST grow it, you'll love it.

Carolyn
Old June 26, 2015   #8
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

I am growing both this season and both are in large pots. For me, yellow pear is more prolific and its still alive and slightly growing in our 110+ temps. Every time the temps cool a tad, it puts on more fruit. The Yellow Sub has been slow and steady, putting on a couple maters a week. They are bigger then the Yellow Pear and have similar tastes (maybe a tad sweeter-maybe?). Seems to still be doing well with the heat... I haven't decided if I prefer one over the other yet (for future plantings) but my kids and mostly everyone I meet who likes maters love the unique shape and taste of the Yellow Pear.
Old June 26, 2015   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes, yes, Yes, for Medovaya Kaplya:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Medovaya_Kaplya

I got my seeds from Andrey in Belarus and was the first to list it in the SSE Yearbooks and offered it for several years in my annual seed offers here. I always described the fruits as looking like they were tied at the top, like a pocketbook, Tania's pictures did not show that so let me see if I can get some more images.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...23.DpeCzOeZ-ns

Not all that are shown are Medovaya Kaplya but there are several pictures shown with them on the vine that better show the fruit form.

You MUST grow it, you'll love it.

Carolyn
We picked these yesterday from one Medovaya Kaplya plant. I already have three cells planted with them to grow in fall. I am about to start fermenting seeds from the ones in the picture. Since it is Carolyn's birthday, I am going to ferment them as she has written about - without using a coffee filter over the top of the fermenting jar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0005.JPG (49.6 KB, 98 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #10
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Another option may be Chang Li (although the shape may be more on the plum side, rather than pear).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #11
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Heard so many bad things about yellow pears. My husband and I are really enjoying them and they produce like crazy. Not my favorite cherry but I'm going to dehydrate some and I bet they'll be awesome that way.
I have no knowledge of the other yellow pair varieties.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #12
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

I like the idea of a PL alternative or enhancement to Yellow Pear....

I will have to try a few of the varieties mentioned to see how they hold up to

Yellow Pear . Right now Yellow pear is to useful and prolific for me to

give it up.
Old June 26, 2015   #13
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Yellow Pear (RL) is bland though it can get very sweet under some conditions.

Yellow Submarine (PL) has more flavor though IMO, it is still poor compared to some others.

Red Pear (RL) is a bit better flavored but still not a preferred variety

Orange Pear (RL) is much better flavored and much sweeter, I just got seed this year. This will be my go-to variety for a small pear shaped tomato!

We need someone to breed a black pear that tastes decent. I have a couple with the shape and the name, but IMO, they are not very good.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #14
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

My Medovaya Kaplya is just flowering now. I've grown it in the past and it's really tasty as others have said. I'm also trying Sweet Beverly for the first time, nothing ripe yet. It's not quite the same pear shape, but close from what I've seen. Some have a neck and some appear oval. We'll see! I have never tried Yellow Submarine, but Yellow Pear was just awful for me.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
My Medovaya Kaplya is just flowering now. I've grown it in the past and it's really tasty as others have said. I'm also trying Sweet Beverly for the first time, nothing ripe yet. It's not quite the same pear shape, but close from what I've seen. Some have a neck and some appear oval. We'll see! I have never tried Yellow Submarine, but Yellow Pear was just awful for me.
Robin, about Sweet Beverly, it's not genetically stable.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...=Sweet+Beverly

In the above link please start reading at about post #30 and then look at the pictures that come next by I think i'ts surfgirl and note the different colors and shapes she pictured.

Actually if you read the whole thread and at least go beyond the pictures, it's a very very interesting thread that I think everyone should read which is one of the reasons it's a sticky.

Carolyn