Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 18, 2015   #1
zygirl
Tomatovillian™

Default What is happening to my tomatoes?

First, let me start off by saying I have never, ever experienced these kind of problems with my tomatoes. My tomatoes for the last two years were so beautiful, and I am about to chuck these ones in the bin and just buy from the garden center and consider it a lost year. I need to figure out something soon, else there won't be any left for replacement if I do chuck these ones.

So I planted several varieties of tomatoes, some defiant, some beefsteak, some tiny tims, some plum regals... All was well, then right from the get go I was getting some yellowing. I added some ferts, and they perked up again. I transplanted last weekend into bigger pots, into a mix of black earth + compost, same brand I have always used.

My leaves are dying. I have been removing infected tissue, but the little plants just can't keep up. They were planted Easter weekend. They are indoors, with a grow light. I have never had this happen. The leaves are also very very pale and not dark green as they should be. My tiny tims are darker, but they have dark spots on the leaves as well.

Here are some pictures. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

zygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #2
creister
Tomatovillian™

I am unable to view the pics.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #3
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried diluted fertilizer? It's almost June, your zone of course much colder than mine, but when do you start seeds? Not an expert but the seedlings look awfully small still, are they always this small for you right around now?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

zygirl, I think they just got a little sunburn. I've got a few plants that look like your first photo. For the second photo see this thread
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36573
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #5
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

You mean you started the seeds Easter weekend? An they are still indoors? don't know how big your containers are but if too small, it will affect the way they grow. I pot up to 18oz solo cups approx 1 month after starting the seed. and then use a diluted MG fertilizer in water.
Old May 23, 2015   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I have found that seedlings grown in peat pots or newspaper pots do not thrive as well as those grown in plastic containers. Not that it cannot be done as I did it for several years to use up a lot of small peat pots, but I potted up into waxed cream/OJ containers.

You mention potting up into black earth, but you don't say what you started them in. It would be better to use "potting mix" for your containers.

We had a cold spring and my seedlings were very slow this year. Slower than ever before...... Your leaves look rather purple, which denotes COLD.

I wish you luck, and hope that all will be well when the weather warms up

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #7
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Second pic doesn't look so bad to me, it could just be cold, although the first one is more concerning. I know I got what I think was some bad potting soil last year, although not all the bags were bad. The ingredients sometimes vary even with the same brand. I might give some more diluted fertilizer if that helped the first time.
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #8
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Peat pots....worthless...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015   #9
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Probably a mold growing underneath the peat pots..and watered too much
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote