Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 29, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Fresh Seed ?

When I was at market last week, I picked up two of the biggest peppers I have ever seen in my life. They some sort of Ancho/Poblano.

They are about 7 to 7 1/2" long and about 3 to 3 1/2" wide. it was my first time seeing an Ancho in real life. I have only seen them on the Tv show One pLate at a Time.

Normally I take all my pepper seeds and dry them out for several weeks and than bag. Weather is starting to warm up fast here and I have no idea how long it will take for these plants to grow and produce something that big.

So what I am wondering is can I just take the seeds out without drying them and go ahead and plant the number I want for this year and dry the rest? Can you start pepper seeds fresh from a pepper?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0588.JPG (30.5 KB, 182 views)
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
When I was at market last week, I picked up two of the biggest peppers I have ever seen in my life. They some sort of Ancho/Poblano.

They are about 7 to 7 1/2" long and about 3 to 3 1/2" wide. it was my first time seeing an Ancho in real life. I have only seen them on the Tv show One pLate at a Time.

Normally I take all my pepper seeds and dry them out for several weeks and than bag. Weather is starting to warm up fast here and I have no idea how long it will take for these plants to grow and produce something that big.

So what I am wondering is can I just take the seeds out without drying them and go ahead and plant the number I want for this year and dry the rest? Can you start pepper seeds fresh from a pepper?
Yes, you can for sure. Do you care if it grows true or not? The pepper from the store may be a hybrid.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have about 10 pounds of those things at the house right now.
Poblano peppers rule.
Ancho is when they are dried.
I think a lot of them coming from Mexico are open pollinated.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Plant those puppies. You will get a jump on the normal germination time.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Poblano peppers rule.

Worth
I did read somewhere that most of the peppers with at least some heat are OP.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #6
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Yes, you can for sure. Do you care if it grows true or not? The pepper from the store may be a hybrid.
No I don't care. These came from the market. Guy had all kinds of Mexican fresh veggies and fruits. I know he got them from the big international warehouse market in Atlanta.

Snagged me a couple of Roma tomatoes from him too. They were huge ones. Big and fat and such good flavor. I had bought 8 of them and wished I had bought 3 times that many. I have some seed of it fermenting. Plus I have one tomato left which I will try for some fresh seed to plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Plant those puppies. You will get a jump on the normal germination time.
Cool!!! Alrighty, I'll sow some tomorrow. The seeds themselves are huge. Wonder what the plant is gonna be like? Wonder if it is going to need extra ferts or anything?

Quote:
Poblano peppers rule.

Worth
Worth... Are they hot. What do they taste like? What do you do with yours?

I finally get this pepper and now the One Plate at a Time Tv show is no longer on. The channel called Create now.
Old March 29, 2015   #7
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I seeded some op Poblano this year. Plan to grow at least 4 of them.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes they are hot and sometimes they aren't.
The later in the year the hotter they get.
What do I do witb them?
I stuff them with cheese and meat and bake them I put them in everything I cook.
I eat them raw pickled and fried.
I do not take the skin off it is a waste of time.
I use them in salsa for chips.
I cook them with beans and in soups and stews.
That is why I have so many in the house.
For me a day without peppers is no day at all.
I found the people here on tomatoville by way of a link on a pepper site directing me to garden web many years ago.

Oddly enough I don't care for super hot peppers I go for the flavor.
That is where Poblano shines.
Peppery yet on the pungent side with a little heat.
Worth
Old March 31, 2015   #9
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

There maybe a problem planting the fresh seeds. Peppers have a germination inhibitor that keeps seed from rotten fruit from germinating right after they fall so they don't germinate and then get frosted off from the coming winter. Generally they need to be dried out first. I do save seed from fruit we get in the winter but they then have a drying period.

If you can find a copy of Dave DeWitt's book on peppers, there is a section on getting around the germination inhibition. I have it here somewhere, but I can't remember the process off hand.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #10
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
There maybe a problem planting the fresh seeds. Peppers have a germination inhibitor that keeps seed from rotten fruit from germinating right after they fall so they don't germinate and then get frosted off from the coming winter. Generally they need to be dried out first. I do save seed from fruit we get in the winter but they then have a drying period.

If you can find a copy of Dave DeWitt's book on peppers, there is a section on getting around the germination inhibition. I have it here somewhere, but I can't remember the process off hand.

Carol
Thanks for that information Carol. At least if I have trouble with the germination I'll now know what may be the main cause of it. I'm going to make a note of the book and maybe later I can see about ordering a copy. Too late in my season to try for now to get it.
Old March 31, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here are some of your big Poblano and jalapeno hanging up to ripen and dry at my place.
Worth
IMG_2015033136259.jpg
Old March 31, 2015   #12
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

If the peppers aren't ripe enough the seeds might not be developed enough to germinate.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #13
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I sometimes go to the peppadew site for recipes. Today I'm stuffing some peppers with Italian sausage. I bet the ones you have Star would be good like that. Look at the stuffed peppers section, and look for the Italian sausage recipe. I tried some of the others with mixed results. Some good, some not so good. Like the crab stuffing was really not that good. I'm still working my way through all these recipes. You can use any peppers you want. Tonight I'm just using some huge red bells.
I like the site because it gives me ideas as what to do with peppers. I may modify recipes to my liking.
http://www.peppadewfresh.com/Recipe_folder/Recipes.asp

Here's the stuffed sausage I'm doing tonight for the in-laws. it's a simple recipe. As I said I'm using bells and I also add garlic when browning the sausage. Onions may be good too! Or maybe you would prefer other or more spices. We have ton's of Italian stores around here and I have fresh ground Italian sausage to work with, no casings.
http://www.peppadewfresh.com/Recipe_folder/PeppadewUSA/Peppadew_Recipes_Folder/Stuffed_Peppadew/Italian_Sausage_Stuffed_Peppadew.html

I have made this before and like it, not bad! You can't go wrong with cream cheese or Italian sausage!

Last edited by drew51; March 31, 2015 at 03:15 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2015   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant get either one of the links to open drew.

Worth
Old March 31, 2015   #15
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I cant get either one of the links to open drew.

Worth

Not sure why? Working for me. Could somebody else test them?
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote