Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 5, 2015   #1
HotSalsa
Tomatovillian™

Default What's going on with my tomatoes?

Hello everyone, I noticed some discoloration on the leaves of two of my plants. Does anybody know what this is? For the record, the first is a Patio Princess, the second an Indigo Rose. They were grown from seed and transplanted into sub-irrigated self watering containers. I have plastic covers on both of the containers (one being an EB). Because the rain & humidity was so wild here in the summer months, I bring these plants in my garage every night in an obsessive attempt to keep them dry and try to stave off blight and septoria. I don't see any aphids, worms, etc, but the plants have lots of foliage so maybe I missed a hidden pest. I sprayed once with spinosad maybe 3 weeks ago.

So who has seen this before, and what do I need to do? Any help would be appreciated!

HotSalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2015   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hello and welcome to tomatoville
I cannot say for certain but it Looks to me like damage caused by a leaf miner. Typically mainly a cosmetic issue although a severe infestation would weaken or even defoliate a plant. With any foliar infestation or disease it is good practice to prune off affected foliage without delay. Damaged foliage is an entry point for fungus and bacterial problems as well. The trouble with spraying is twofold in that because the leaf miner larvae
are inside the leaves and not on the surface they are sort of protected from surface spraying and their natural control which would be parasitic wasps are the ones inadvertently killed by the insecticide. If they were my plants, I would remove affected foliage and bag it up and destroy then fertilize the plants and keep an eye on them
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2015   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hi from Plantation, Fl. The first photo looks like sunscald on the leaves, Not of much consequence, they grow out of it. The second one is fungal. Use a copper spray at the weakest dilution, and thoroughly wet stems, underside of leaves, and tops of leaves, but avoid the flowers if you can. Only spray in the cool of the day to keep your leaves from frying.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2015   #4
sarahjune
Tomatovillian™

its edema from too much water.
sarahjune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2015   #5
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Ditto what ginger2778 said.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2015   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Ginger also.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2015   #7
HotSalsa
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone. I hope you guys are right about the sunscald. Probably because the weather has been so back-and-forth lately. One night it's in the low 40s, and the next day its 80 something degrees in the afternoon. All the plants that have the affliction have been brought indoors at night, and stayed in the garage during cold, overcast and rainy days. I am trying to do whatever it takes to prevent them from getting septoria, blight, etc. When the warm sunny weather returns, I put them outside. Perhaps that stark contrast from a day or two in the garage and then full sun is causing the sunscald. Both my patio tomato plants have it all over the leaves, and now one of my brandywines has it too. Thanks everyone, I hope you're right and it's nothing to worry about!

The few leaves that had grey blotches were removed and I haven't seen anymore at the moment. What is the best preventative treatment to fight off fungal problems?

Last edited by HotSalsa; January 22, 2015 at 12:49 AM. Reason: additional question
HotSalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2015   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Labora...ywords=exel+lg

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_4k37fmru62_e

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Indust...rds=actinovate

This is what I use and they can be mixed together and applied in one application. Agrifos and EXEL LG are the same just made from different companies.

Ami

Last edited by amideutch; January 22, 2015 at 02:16 AM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2015   #9
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Fresh air and sunshine. Only put them in the garage if you expect a frost
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015   #10
garden381
Tomatovillian™

someone recently reminded me, " LEAVE THE PLANTS ALONE ".
good advise.
plants grow outdoors for a reason. they can tolerate weather.
garden381 is offline   Reply With Quote