Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old July 23, 2011   #1
hardwaterbob
Tomatovillian™

Default hollyhock seeds / flowers

Has anyone started new flowers ( holly hocks) by rooting the suckers?

Anyone interested in swapping seeds from this flower?

I have a beautiful peach colored hollyhock growing right now and I am willing to trade seeds when I get them from this year's plant for other colors.

Bob
hardwaterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2011   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried it from the suckers.....probably because I have so many seeds from the different hollyhocks. Will have to try that.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #3
Karla
Tomatovillian™

I always grown mine from seed
Started a few varieties from seed.
If interested in Hollyhock seeds.I have A mix of colors.
uploadfromtaptalk1431265868636.jpg
Old May 10, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

When I moved back East from Denver I found several hollyhock plants trying to survive here and there, my father told me they were my grandmothers and she had been growing them since the late 1800's

Two plants were pure pink and one was white, nothng like all the ones we have today with eyes and ruffles, etc..

I dug up all three and put them in a better spot where they would have weed free soil and access to irrigation if there was no rain.

I lost the white one but got lots of seeds of the pink one and when I moved from the Albany area I brought the seeds with me, and planted them here and that's the last time I ever saved seeds since in the fall the seeds would fall to the soil and new plants would come up every year, so many that they had to be thinned out.

I love growing flowers and whatever, that have a family history and also brought with me many of the peonies that were my grandmothers as well. For some I could ID the variety for others I just called one rose, etc.

I never tried making new plants from suckers, no need to, but since Hollyhocks are self seeding, what would the advantage be? And no, I grew no other Hollyhocks since they cross easily.

Out in the raised bed in the back the first year I was here there was a double pink poppy that came up, I thought I had something special only to find out that that poppy was known and grown by almost everyone in the area.

Carolyn
Old May 10, 2015   #5
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Hey Karla,
Fabulous picture! What is your mix of colors? Let's make a deal!

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #6
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

I have always admired Hollyhocks in seed catalogs, but have never seen any planted in my area. Don't know how they will do in the humid south. Any ideas?
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote