Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 21, 2015   #1
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Default Wind damage seedlings

lost 10 or 12 plants do to 35mph winds ...
8 inch stumps, no leaves, should I dig them up and replant...
or leave them?
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2015   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

You can leave them if you want. They will sprout their little suckers and you can keep them going... . IF you have enough to replant them... replant them. I had a bunch of mine freeze down a couple years ago and I left them and I should have just pulled them and replanted them. They grew, but there was no central tip. All the suckers popped out and I tried to leave one as the central leader and it was not a total disaster, but close. They were not the nicest of plants, but I did get tomatoes.
Old April 21, 2015   #3
4season
Tomatovillian™

Wehave a lot of wind in the spring. This year I am going to cut the end out of burlap coffee bags and place the resulting tubes around the cages to try to stop wind damage.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Leave them. Had a hail storm in June 2010 and some of my plants were totally defoliated. They grew back and had a crop before the growing season was over.

Ami
Old April 25, 2015   #5
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Mine just suffered major damage too. Folks here said let em grow, so I have and they starting to get new leaves. Also, I was told to root the tops. If you can find them, stick them ina glass of water and they start growing roots in a few days. Saves from starting the same ones over from seed.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote