Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 19, 2015   #1
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

Default How long will a tomato plant keep growing

I started a tomato plant from seed called Early Wonder from Tomatofest - https://store.tomatofest.com/Early_Wonder_p/tf-0157.htm

It has been growing for 2 years and 4 months in a container in my master bedroom closet under an LED grow light. I just harvested 14 tomatoes this last Sunday.

It's growing in a 5 gallon SWC. I top water every 6 to 8 days, adding a gallon of water each time. I used to water more frequently, every two or three days, so there was always water in the reservoir but discovered that waiting till the reservoir was almost dry produced better results. I use the Texas Tomato Food on a schedule of three feeding and then three watering.

My question is how long will this plant keep producing. Since this variety is listed as a determinate I would have thought it would have shut down long ago. I keep pruning to keep the plant compact for my grow space and then new growth and flowers sprout a couple of weeks latter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150215_Resize.jpg (112.9 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg 20150219_NewSize.jpg (180.2 KB, 152 views)
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

You could probably keep it going indefinitely!
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #3
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

I have a determinate micro-tomato that looked done with at the end of last summer. I chopped the main stem down to a couple inches and it has regrown fully over the winter, with no evidence of running out any time soon. I suspect if you didn't prune back the plant, it would stall out... but with pruning, it might last for years.
Old February 19, 2015   #4
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

That is quite impressive. Keeping the plant in the closet must protect it from bugs and disease. Frost, bugs and disease are what do my plants in and it looks like you've got a handle on all those threats. I've got no theory on how a determinate has continued to thrive and produce for 2 years and 4 months except for the Texas Tomato Food and the pruning suggestion. Your tomatoes look very nice!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #5
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Contact Texas tomato food, maybe they will sponsor your project if you agree to be their spokesman!
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

There are some archives here at Tville about this tomatoe tree, but this can give you a idea of what can be done with some tomatoe variations.

http://blog.dvcrequest.com/epcots-re...-tomato-trees/
Old February 19, 2015   #7
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

I have managed to avoid all insects other than gnats but Raid fly strips and Myco Madness helped me eliminate them.

Unfortunately I have not been as successful with disease. I have run into downy mildew that I combat by pruning the infected leaves and spraying the plant with a fungicide approved for indoor use. I think if I had more air circulation I could fight this better. I also read an article about using lamps that emit UV-B light can help stimulate plants to fight infections as well as sterilize the area.

The temps do not drop below 65 degrees in winter and the humidity stays between 30 and 40 percent year round. In the summer the temps top out at 83.

I run my LED grow light on a 12 hour on, 12 hr off cycle. The full spectrum unit I have has been replaced with this model - http://californialightworks.com/prod...220-fullcycle/
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2015   #8
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Impressive!!

No time to do research but isn't there one at Disney that's been growing for some time?

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015   #9
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Impressive!!

No time to do research but isn't there one at Disney that's been growing for some time?

Greg
I have always thought that one was on steroids (of some sort or other) to produce that long without succumbing to disease.

I would guess that if you took a seed from its fruit it would not produce anything like that the next generation without extensive medical help from such a huge institution.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote