Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 11, 2015   #1
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Default Do you recognize this tomato?

If this is the wrong place for this question, please tell me and I'll delete. So... almost done finalizing my grow list. Trying to decide if I plant out this mystery that I found in my garden last year. It came from a commercial pack of 'black krim' but the others grown from the pack were all true to type. This little thing was quite different! If no one has seen this before, I'll grow out the seeds I saved just to see what it does. If it is an established type, I'd love to know what I got!

It *tastes* like a black krim - sweet, smokey, flavourful. It's rather early, and extremely prolific. Grew almost 10 feet and collapsed in several places despite careful staking and regular tying. 150-200 fruit easily on the one plant. I refer to it myself as baby krim or browncoat. In the pictures below it is seen with sungold, black cherry and blush, also zapotec pink pleated and white tomesol for scale. Every fruit was exactly the same size, perfectly uniform with no cracking or scaring, with the same number of locules, which makes me wonder if it was crossed with a cherry... What do YOU think it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7wURQxR.jpg (100.4 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg NFkDRbI.jpg (137.5 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg BbNRjbb.jpg (112.6 KB, 472 views)
File Type: jpg zWBi5FK.jpg (104.0 KB, 471 views)
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting and I love the size! I hope you will grow it again and see if it comes true, then you will know that it was an odd seed rather than a cross.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Have you grown any Kumatos at all?Looks like some I grow every season.
Old February 11, 2015   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Kurt that it looks very much like Kumato!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #5
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Interesting! This seed came in a pack of Black Krim from Bakers's Creek. It wasn't seed I saved myself, so this didn't come from my garden.
It doesn't look like anything else they currently have in their catalog, but now that I look up Kumato, maybe it's that?
Old February 11, 2015   #6
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

I think it looks like a Baby Krim and anything baby is just cuteness

Judging from the photos on Wikipedia:

I don't think it looks like Kumato. Kumato has 3 locules and is really brown inside. Even the gel is brown. Skin is not freckled.

This Baby Krim has 5 locules and green gel. And little light colored freckles on the skin.

Not that you need me to encourage you but please grow this one again! Do it for the children (Baby Krims)!
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #7
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

So, I get the feeling it should be named baby krim? Haha. I would love to hear from someone who has worked with crosses and surprises before. If this cross is unlikely to grow true, I won't waste the space. If anyone wants some seed, PM me!
Old February 12, 2015   #8
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for PMing me! I'll get seeds out tomorrow in the mail to you. Please try and post back here when you get something growing so we can see if it is the same. It looks like all around we'll have at least 10 plants out of these seeds, maybe more! (I have some seeds left if anyone is really dying to get in on this little experiment!)
Old February 12, 2015   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Very pretty but looks like to much gel for my liking. How would you rate the taste? Cool nonetheless. I'd be willing to grow one and see what happens.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #10
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Too much gel??? That's where the flavor is in a slicer!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #11
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Taste? My notes say 'just like a Krim, but slightly milder' that could be due to the size, however. THey were perfect for slicing into wedges with a sprinkle of salt for lunch, or to eat in salads, or slice for sandwhiches. In my garden, Krims are complex, balanced but on the sweet side. Exactly how I like my tomatoes. This one was a winner for taste for me, for sure. I was disappointed because they were so tiny, but now I think they might be great that way!