Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old October 25, 2014   #1
LDiane

Default shiny fruit

I've checked various lists of diseases, but can't find this one.

This can happen with any tomato, bought or home-grown.

Something happens to the inside of the tomato some time after it has been picked. There is no break in the skin, no fungus, no discolouration.

Instead, there is an area that looks a bit more shiny and a bit darker than the rest. There might be several such areas on one fruit. Eventually the whole fruit is like that. It feels a bit as though the inside might be liquid. I guess I should peel one to see what it looks like inside.

It will not taste good.

What causes this?
Old October 26, 2014   #2
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiane View Post
I've checked various lists of diseases, but can't find this one.

This can happen with any tomato, bought or home-grown.

Something happens to the inside of the tomato some time after it has been picked. There is no break in the skin, no fungus, no discolouration.

Instead, there is an area that looks a bit more shiny and a bit darker than the rest. There might be several such areas on one fruit. Eventually the whole fruit is like that. It feels a bit as though the inside might be liquid. I guess I should peel one to see what it looks like inside.

It will not taste good.

What causes this?
Sounds like sunscald. http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...UadxW5MbtA_CNZ
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2014   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi there,

There are many things which can cause problems with tomato fruit including many bacterial and fungal diseases as well as non pathogen related abnormalities like blossom end rot and sunscald as mentioned above. A photo would help as would opening the fruit to look at the inside.
Occasionally, and especially with grocery store tomatoes you can see a phenomenon called vivipary which is an abnormal condition where seeds begin to germinate inside the fruit.
Google images of tomato fruit disorders may help you identify what you are asking about.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2014   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I was going to reply that it might be vivipary too. I have grown one tomato that did that, cut into it, and yes, it had seeds with plants growing from them inside the tomato. If you cut into it and this is happening - you might want to take pictures. Vivipary happens in 1-out-of-10,000 tomatoes.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote