Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 2, 2014   #1
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Default TSWV Opinions wanted

I have something funny going on with several plants and am afraid it is TSWV. The problem seems to have started at the top with new growth. New growth seems stunted with a purple cast and the new flowers quickly turn brown. After awhile the leaves further down the plant roll. At first I thought the problem was tomato russet mites, but treatment with sulfur didn't help. I dissected some blossoms and found many little critters running around. They are long and narrow. You can see one on the pics below. There are very few spotted leaves, but I do have pictures of a couple. The fruit seems to be unaffected. Maybe the infection is early and hasn't affected the fruit yet?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

tswv10.jpg

tswv9.jpg

tswv5.jpg

You can see the little buggers crawling away on my finger below.

tswv3.jpg

tswv2.jpg

Fruit is unaffected: Fish Lake Oxheart and Costoluto Genovese below.

tswv6.jpg

tswv8.jpg
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It is really hard to tell from the pictures. I usually can diagnose TSWV by looking at the leaves early in the infection before it gets to the end stage. I need to see some clear sharp pictures of the leaves midway up the plant and at the top. Near the end the new growth and blooms will sometimes look like that but then so could a heavy infestation of mites or maybe even something else. Right now I have spider mites hitting my plants very hard and a couple of the worst ones look similar to what you are showing. I'm sorry I can't really tell what is going on there.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #3
Cheryl2017
Tomatovillian™

Mites have been extra horrible this year do to drought like conditions. I'm using sulfur powder and alternating with a light mixture 1tsp soap with 1 tsp oil about every third day. Ive got fruit on on my plants but coming to the end of spring garden anyway. Really need to start culling and getting ready for new plants next month.
Cheryl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

That is the hated tswv. I have it this year for the first time. Started with 110 plants now i am down to 65. Pull that plant asap. It spreads so fast it is depressing. Pull any plants that show the slightest signs of the virus. Then spray some type of insecticide on schedule to kill off the thrips. Im telling you this is the saddest season i have ever had. Every day i yank 3-5 plants. Sorry to be a bummer but it is totally necessary if you plan on any tomato plants making it.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #5
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

I'm in agreement with Bill on this one. It's hard to give a definite diagnosis from the current photos.
The symptoms you describe are consistent, but if you're still getting ripe unaffected fruit, I'd take a wait and see approach.

Usually I agree with the pull ASAP approach, but that's based on my experience of infection happening prior to fruit set.

Seeing that you are also in Ca, you may want to consider the more local experience of heirloomtomaguy in your final decision.

Good luck!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #6
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Scott,

I would send a PM to Steve (Heritage). He's in your immediate area and has had run-ins with TSWV before, as I recall. I've had similar symptoms in years past, and pulled the plants, but I never knew exactly what the problem was.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #7
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDx4 View Post
Scott,

I would send a PM to Steve (Heritage). He's in your immediate area and has had run-ins with TSWV before, as I recall. I've had similar symptoms in years past, and pulled the plants, but I never knew exactly what the problem was.

Lyn
A week ago, Steve thought my Dester might have TSWV and I removed the plant. I am going to take out the Costoluto Genovese, Opalka and a mystery black tomato that was supposed to be a pink heart. I have two other Costoluto Genovese and two more Opalka, so I won't be missing the sauce. I also have several other plants of this mystery black.

The fact that I can see thrips crawling around when I dissect a flower make TSWV too big of a danger.

The Fish Lake Oxheart is looking a bit sad, but I don't see any thrips in its flowers and it is loaded with ripening fruit. I will keep it for now, but if the new growth looks funny, it will be gone too.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #8
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Scott,

I agree with Bill and Lee. It could be TSWV but I wouldn't pull the plants just yet unless I got a positive result from a TSWV immunostrip. The fruit don't show any signs of TSWV. A bad thrips (or mite) infestation on the new growth could also cause the distortion you are showing (without transmitting the TSWV). Mites will usually start at the bottom of the plant and work their way up, but not always. I have had them "magically" appear on the top, feasting on the new growth.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #9
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

btw... as Bill mentioned, TSWV infected plants almost always have the distinctive top-to-mid leaf symptoms Lee shows in his excellent TSWV post:
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=1519
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote