Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 29, 2014   #1
salix
Tomatovillian™

Default Germination surprises

Have you planted any seed whose germination surprised you? I decided to plant just a few extra cabbage seed, and chose 'Parel', which was dated 2004. Sowed 10 seeds on 25 April and today, just 2 and a half days later eight have germinated. Not bad for 10 year old seed, and just goes to show you it's always worth a try! All my seeds are kept dry, and spend some time in my cold room, but I must confess they spend several months at regular room temperature as well...
Old April 29, 2014   #2
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

Yes, but my experience wasn't a rousing success!

A few years ago I saved seeds from a tomato variety called Fond Red Mini. I planted one of the saved seeds and it germinated, but the plant looked smaller than a normal tomato seedling. I kept it going and it never did look right. When it flowered it had small white flowers that didn't produce fruit.

I have no idea what I grew or how it came to be from a saved tomato seed.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2014   #3
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Two years ago I planted some 19 year old Serrano chili seeds, from dried pods I had prepared in high-school. Most every seed germinated quickly. I was expecting some to survive, but not most.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2014   #4
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday I planted all of my wintergreen seeds. Today I learned that they require cold stratification and I don't know which cells have the wintergreen seeds.

Surprise.

As for seeds lasting a long time. A master gardener once told me that it's good to keep your seeds in a cigar box to keep them dry. I've been doing that and have been getting fairly decent germination on seeds 2-4 years old.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote