Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 24, 2014   #1
momoflilgs
Tomatovillian™

Default First attempt at micro soil blocks

This is my second year gardening and my first using soil blocks. I've started smaller seeds in 3/4" blocks and am happy to see some sprouts! (The gravel looking stuff is Vermiculite.) I haven't posted a picture before so I guess this is my test post.IMG_5031.jpg
momoflilgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014   #2
momoflilgs
Tomatovillian™

IMG_5021.jpg Well, I guess that attempt failed because I'm not seeing a picture! Perhaps it's too late in the day to try something new.
Old February 25, 2014   #3
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I wish the pictures had posted. I have been using soil blocks for years and love them but that micro blocker has me stumped. I can get the big ones to come out perfect but the mini ones just don't work for me. At least 1/3 fall apart.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #4
momoflilgs
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry but I haven't been successful! I tried opening up a Flickr account and I also added a picture to My Profile but everytime I try to add the URL, I get an error message. I even tried using the picture as my Avatar.
Old February 25, 2014   #5
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I wish the pictures had posted. I have been using soil blocks for years and love them but that micro blocker has me stumped. I can get the big ones to come out perfect but the mini ones just don't work for me. At least 1/3 fall apart.
I have made the smaller blocks with some success. I found I had to screen the recipe to get the lumps out. For example the Perlite had quite large pieces and the Peat moss had a few twiggy bits making for an open block. I made up a 1/4 inch screen with a piece of hardware cloth, tacked to the bottom of a box, pushed it through, used the residue in my containers.
Just one problem, I found that bigger seeds like tomatoes didn't do too well. Might have been my watering, so I just use them for the tiny seeds.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #6
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

As beeman mentioned, screening the mix first is necessary with the mini-blocks. Also, keep a close eye on them and transfer them to a 2" block as soon as germination happens. The minis just don't hold enough moisture or have enough room for roots for much growing at all; I find them only good for germination. But they are a great space-saver for that purpose, and, as mentioned, for the itty-bitty seeds. I found that a hand-held vacuum seeder is a great help in placing the tiny seeds into the depression in the blocks.
Old February 25, 2014   #7
momoflilgs
Tomatovillian™

[/URL]
Old February 25, 2014   #8
momoflilgs
Tomatovillian™

I hope size doesn't matter... It looks like I was successful by using Photobucket. At least I can see a picture, can anyone else?

I was originally planning on a separate mixture for the 3/4" because I read that Perlite would be too coarse. After making some 2" blocks I discovered that the Perlite is fine enough for the micro blocks. I have made some with Perlite and without. I'm using peat, worm castings, a very little bit of lime, and perlite. I also made some with just peat and the castings. I think the peat/casting mix tends to dry out a little bit faster. I've had great germination with my 2013 spinach seeds. They are now over 1" tall and have two green grassy leaves. I plan on transplanting them to the 2" block this week.
Old February 25, 2014   #9
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

super organized! It looks great. I've never used soil blocks but I'm so curious about them!
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #10
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations on getting the picture posted and being able to make those micro blocks. I have always screened my soil when making soil blocks. I have also found using really warm water and letting it sit for a hour helps making perfect blocks. But I still have not had success with the micros. I will have to try it again not that I see it can be done.

I usually use soil blocks for melons and squash. This year I planted black cherry tomatoes traditionally and in standard size soil blocks. The soil block seedlings were double the size of the traditional ones.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #11
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoflilgs View Post
Attachment 41165 Well, I guess that attempt failed because I'm not seeing a picture! Perhaps it's too late in the day to try something new.
Your picture size is too big for t-ville uploader.

Maximum File Size per Picture 97.7 KB Maximum Picture Dimensions 600 by 600 Pixels Pictures will be automatically resized to fit within these constraints if possible. However, you may receive better results by doing it manually.
Old February 26, 2014   #12
momoflilgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by madddawg View Post
Your picture size is too big for t-ville uploader.

Maximum File Size per Picture 97.7 KB Maximum Picture Dimensions 600 by 600 Pixels Pictures will be automatically resized to fit within these constraints if possible. However, you may receive better results by doing it manually.

Is it okay if I just continue to use Photobucket to post pictures? It was a quick and easy method for me and I didn't have to manually resize anything.
Old February 27, 2014   #13
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

I suppose so, I used it last year posting my garden pictures. yeah they are big but I like it better then having to resize pictures and having a little picture that's hard to see the details.
Old February 27, 2014   #14
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

FastStone is a great free super easy picture resizer, you can get really big files down to a couple hundred kb usually and they will upload to the site in seconds.

im curious what exactly is a soil block? i can see your pic but how did you make those? what are the benefits?
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2014   #15
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Those are nice looking and well organized. I am just wondering if you will have problems with the blocks blending together by the time you want to transplant.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote