Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old April 19, 2013   #1
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

Default Trying to breed a blue currant tomato

I made a Bosque Blue x Ted's Pink Currant cross last year and recently harvested and saved seeds from my first couple tomatoes on the F1 plants.

The F1s are a nice mix of the two parents. Compact size, with many side shoots. 9 or so cherry-sized fruits per truss with some light anthocyanin shading. Flavor isn't overwhelmingly great but I thought they were pretty good.. VERY seedy.

Not great pictures because they were taken with my scratched up cellphone camera but here's a couple:
Unripe F1 fruit: http://i37.tinypic.com/2dir6rt.jpg
Better view of F1 plant: http://i36.tinypic.com/2enu5ir.jpg
Ripe, but not overly so F1 fruit: http://i35.tinypic.com/no6lgo.jpg

I don't have a ton of space to grow, so if anybody wants some F1 or F2 seeds, PM me and we can work something out. I've got 8 F2 seeds germinating right now and would be willing to send about that many, maybe a couple more if you really want them.

I'll post more updates as I have them.
Old April 19, 2013   #2
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Very nice. I've got a number of F1 plants from the seeds you sent in the fall, I had no luck with keeping one alive over the winter. I'm excited to see what comes out of the F2's. I'm planning a number of similar crosses this summer looking for a sweet version.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #3
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

cornbread -

Hi, any updates? I'm working with a further selection of Bosque Blue and Ambrosia Red and I'd guess I'm about where you are. Perhaps at some point we should trade notes and share seed. This is my 'baby blue'. It's a cherry, not really a currant.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baby Blue2(r).JPG (352.8 KB, 61 views)
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

The interest in a blue currant tomato seems to be showing high interest.

Copper Currant was used as a male parent to some blue cherry tomatoes. Also the CC was used as a female to at least one blue.

Quote:
Copper Currant
This new cherry tomato is from our Ambrosia line crossed back to a wild relative. The indescribably sweet red flesh surrounds the green gel at the...
Pearly Pink Cherry was used as a male parent to several blues.

I crossed a dwarf Shadow Boxing to Starfire Isis yesterday Last week it was crossed Starfire x Blush

Quote:
Starfire Isis
A breeding breakthrough, Starfire is a large cherry tomato with striking fiery lines radiating from the blossom end. The flavor is very sweet with a...
Pink Pearly PInk Cherry was used a male seven times and as a female two times..all to blues.

Quote:
Pearly Pink Cherry
There are other dwarf cherry tomatoes on the market, but this is the best in our experience. In May we picked the first sweet fruit from the...

Quote:
I used pollen from dwf Shadow Boxing to a female plant of Strawberry Tiger

Quote:
Strawberry Tiger
Strawberry Tiger is the lucky result of a cross between our Blue Tiger and Ambrosia Pink tomatoes. The striping varies in intensity, with fruit on...
I also used pollen from a Dwarf Shadow Boxing to Ambrosia Red.

Quote:
Ambrosia Red
A deep red and very sweet (Brix > 9.0) cherry tomato with intense flavor. Large 7' indeterminant vines bear heavily. 65 days to maturity
A made a cross but can't remember the cross with Muchacha[

QUOTE]Muchacha!
Bred from wild stock, more than 100 tomatoes will be on this stout little plant at any one time. The flavor is very sweet (Brix reached 10.0 midseason) with a fresh hint of the wild. Definitely a keeper and lives up to it's name. (65 days to maturity
[/QUOTE]
These were some plants i picked up a month ago and since I didn't know anything about them ......I did a search of the them after the crosses were made. My apologies if I am using someone's material without their permission.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote