Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2013   #1
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Default big beef buckled

i came home after a 10 day vacation to my big beef plant loaded with tomatoes. unfortunately the crappy cage i'm using kind of tilted a little and the main stem buckled down and is laying on the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigbeef1.jpg (498.5 KB, 94 views)

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #2
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

a few more shots of the plant.

really loaded with maters. i just hope it stays standing and doesnt fall over on me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigbeef2.jpg (490.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg bigbeef3.jpg (517.6 KB, 71 views)

Old July 9, 2013   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

What you can do is pile up some dirt over the base. It will grow new roots to help stabilize it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #4
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

exactly what i was thinking

Old July 9, 2013   #5
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Looking good except for that issue. You could try pulling it up and tying it off, but the risk is probably not worth it. Go with some better quality potting soil to bury with, assuming you have it handy.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2013   #6
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I didn't go on vacation, and I have a small bed that I basically neglected to properly support. They ARE laying on the straw and I've decided to leave them there. As soon as I tried to pull one up, a branch broke and man, they have grown so fast this year it all happened before I knew it. Two plants actually setup roots where the stem was laying on the ground, so to me, it is better to leave them be. Some folks like Carolyn mention that they just let them sprawl, so I figure if they could do it, so could I.

Actually the sprawled ones seem to have more tomatoes on them, which is very interesting. Can't call it conclusive though since they are all different varieties than what is elsewhere. I vote for putting some additional soil over them.
Old July 11, 2013   #7
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

Both of my Tasmanian Chocolate dwarf plants got too top heavy and toppled during the last storm. They are pretty loaded. I managed to pick them back up and support them without any noticeable damage. I'm concerned that my Dwarf Sweet Sue will be next.
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2013   #8
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Very nice looking plants and a terrific crop in progress--ah, the advantages of in-ground! (I'm a container guy).

Tomato plants continually amaze me. I planted mine rather deep and after two months I could see some robust roots running just under the surface of the soil. I'm not at all surprised to hear that building up the soil at the base can help encourage root growth to further stabilize the plant. You may also want to insert an angled stake or two for additional support.
Old July 12, 2013   #9
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythaenopsis View Post
Very nice looking plants and a terrific crop in progress--ah, the advantages of in-ground! (I'm a container guy).

Tomato plants continually amaze me. I planted mine rather deep and after two months I could see some robust roots running just under the surface of the soil. I'm not at all surprised to hear that building up the soil at the base can help encourage root growth to further stabilize the plant. You may also want to insert an angled stake or two for additional support.

thanks! i've had decent success in containers but nothing like the plants i have in the garden this year. i'm just so thankful the tree went down in the hurricane and i was able to create a garden that gets full sun.

i covered the stem with about 6 inches of soil. i'm going to hammer a T-post into the ground and tie off the cage to that for some better support.

Old July 12, 2013   #10
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

We have had so much rain that everyplace a tomato touches the ground, there are roots. I have stopped staking the sprawling branches - they are rooted, and I figure are sucking up more nutrition than if they stood straight up. I am staking the ends that are standing up toward the sun - it is like getting multiple plants out of one.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #11
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
We have had so much rain that everyplace a tomato touches the ground, there are roots. I have stopped staking the sprawling branches - they are rooted, and I figure are sucking up more nutrition than if they stood straight up. I am staking the ends that are standing up toward the sun - it is like getting multiple plants out of one.
i agree. i'll have to take a new pic of the plant in this thread. its gigantic and loaded with tomatoes. by far my best container plant

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28598