Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 11, 2006   #1
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Default Question about my plants...pruning..

I have 3 eva purple ball plants that are around 2 feet tall and really bushy, So dense are the leaves that you cant see inside. No fruit set that I can tell. I also have a couple golden sunrise plants off to a slow start. Would anyone know by chance if I should have pruned off the suckers on either one of them? I haven't removed anything as of yet. The Eva purple ball plants are mainly what I'm wondering about, considering how dense they are maybe I should have restricted one to a main stem for maybe a foot up from the ground...
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2006   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

How close are they together?

When did you plant these plants?

Pruning is entirely optional. Some people swear by it. Some people swear at it.

Have evening temperatures been below 75 in the past few weeks? Tomato plants tend not to set fruit if evening temperatures are too warm. You should still be getting flowers/blossoms, but they might be falling off if it's too warm at night. When you say Central La are you talking Alexandria?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2006   #3
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Yeah just south of Alexandria. They are about 3 feet apart but these Eva purple ball plants are compact, dense looking, not near touching each other. Starting to get quite a few blooms, maybe it is just a slow plant and will pickup, could also be shorter days heading towards winter. But I was just curious if anyone prunes this type of plant. I'm going to leave them be and see what they do, kind of late in the game to be thinking about that anyway. They look more like they have 3 or 4 main stems all the same size at this point, so taking off a sucker would be taking off a 3rd of the plant heh. They look healthy anyway, I hope to see something eventually.
Old September 11, 2006   #4
CLa
Tomatovillian™

over 3 feet more like 4 feet apart
Old September 11, 2006   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

EPB is indeterminate. Given enough sunlight (6+ hours a day) and vertical support, Eva Purple Ball can reach 4-6 feet tall.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2006   #6
landarc
Tomatovillian™

My EPB have been fairly compact in growth habit initially. They also typically are early to midseason producers for me. I do not prune and have seen pretty dense foliage on some plants early on. In my patch, the EPB don't seem to get much more than 4 feet tall, maybe 5 is stretched out by hand.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote