Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 9, 2012   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default deer problem solved!

in thread http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...=boards&page=3 i was asking how to stop deer from coming into the garden and eating the pole bean and cuke leaves on a trellis. 3 people mentioned fishing line, rxkeith was 1st in post #15. funny no one commented again after i put out boards with nails in them which did not work!

anyway i got 4 old 6' tomato stakes that i don't use anymore, surrounded the trellis with a 2' path for me to walk around for picking and drove them 1' into the ground leaving them 5' tall. i then strung dental floss on them starting at the top and about every 7-8" apart down to 2 1/2 to 3' off the ground.

i thought i solved the problem until one evening about 7:15 i looked out and there's a 125-140 pound deer (not a small female but no rack) standing inside the dental floss fence eating bean leaves! the sob actually crawled under the bottom line of floss - i watched it leave that way a few seconds later!

the next morning i went out and ran 2-3 more strands so it went to about 5-6" off the ground. so now there is absolutely no way to get under it and the trellis is inside so there is absolutely no way for them to jump into this area.

since that i have not seen any bean leaves or cuke leaves eaten, no footprints from them walking thru the garden and no deer in the garden. this worked perfectly, they never tried to break thru the floss (which i was certain they wouldn't). now this just protects the trellis but the inability to get to the beans and cukes has apparently been so successful that they don't even bother walking into the garden anymore which is fine since they were crushing lettuce and chard plants. so for 99 cents i used 100 yards of dental floss and effectively deterred them and my plants are recovering. if you have deer problems this works but if they can jump over this and into an open area it wouldn't, the trellis inside prevents that.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2012   #2
Fat Charlie
Tomatovillian™

Now that's some good... economical fencing!
Fat Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2012   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

and this has worked so well that i don't see deer tracks in the garden now. so discouraging them from being able to eat the bean and cuke leaves has stopped them from being in there which is what i wanted to accomplish! electric fencing is way more expensive than dental floss plus you could floss your teeth in october!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old August 27, 2012   #4
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Good job, Tom! Do they respond to "regular" or "minty" floss??? Ha!

Seriously, it's amazing that such a simple set-up could deter the little buggers. We put in an electric fence this year to deter the moose and (knock on wood) so far it seems to be working.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2012   #5
deerhunter
Tomatovillian™

i can take em out for ya if you want come bow season.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2012   #6
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

good idea Tom! And if anyone has antlers left over from hunting, I'll take some pieces. Apparently my dog likes them! lol
Old August 28, 2012   #7
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
i can take em out for ya if you want come bow season.
i'd be happy to feed you! if you're serious it would have to be a bow, there's a house across the road and on both sides of me and they're not real close but there's no safe way to shoot.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old August 29, 2012   #8
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

I've heard of similar approach with fishing line. Glad you found a fix. I'll be out doing my part to control the population in two weeks.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2012   #9
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

yeah it was fishing line that was suggested in another thread where i was asking for help. the dental floss was on sale so for 99 cents i got 300' so i figured that's all i'd need and it's cheaper than fishing line. still working and i have not seen a deer footprint in there since.
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old March 9, 2013   #10
Buzzard II
Tomatovillian™

A couple drops of diesel fuel every foot around the edge of a garden will keep deer away.
Buzzard II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2013   #11
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear that the dental floss worked well...It's also good for cutting sheet cakes into nice/pretty portions! Love multi-use items

I used monofilament line around the raised gardens last year, and that worked great for keeping the deer out. At least for one season! We'll see if they 'honor' the line this year?
Old March 12, 2013   #12
jillybeantx
Tomatovillian™

I know the regular or minty question was a joke, but I used minty dental floss to sew up a hole in a butterfly/dip net that I use to dip weeds & bugs out of a water trough in the pasture. One night something (I'm guessing a skunk) knocked the net down from where I kept it and chewed it to pieces! So if anyone has a choice, go with regular floss - you sure don't want to encourage the little striped guys to stop by for a visit!
jillybeantx is offline   Reply With Quote