Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 9, 2013   #1
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Default Stopped by a CSA Today

I've been passing by a CSA garden located out in a wide open field near my home for the past few years. I have admired the effort that a couple of young women were putting in to farming this land. It is a field that has been undeveloped since forever. I often thought about stopping by to let them know that I thought it was great that they were putting this land to use and to let them know how impressive their efforts were. Today I saw a young man out there in the field and thought I would finally stop by. I did and learned that this young fella and his young lady partner had taken over the CSA from the previous young ladies.
I have a few hundred heirloom seedlings growing, including an F1 from a cross pollination that I did last year. I always set up a roadside stand and give my extra seedlings away. Today, I offered this couple a hundred or so seedlings of various heirlooms for their garden. They were very happy at the offer. We had a nice conversation and will be talking again. It will be great to watch the progress of these plants and the new caretaker's garden.

Last edited by marc_groleau; April 9, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2013   #2
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

marc_groleau,
Yes, I bet they were very happy to receive that many free tomato plants. Very nice thing you did there. Good things happen to those who do good deeds.
dpurdy
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #3
tedln

I gave my extra two plants of forty varieties to a guy who hadn't gardened in about 20 years. I was helping him set up a drip irrigation system. I delivered the plants after I thought all danger of a freeze was past. The next week we had a hard freeze and I lost nine plants under heavy covers. I thought my plants were gone and my friends plants were gone. He called and asked if I wanted a few plants back. I wanted to hug him for being slow to get his plants into the garden.

This guy lives alone since his wife passed about five years ago. He has one hundred acres of the most beautiful sandy soil I've ever seen. He is planting about 100 mounds of various varieties of melons, row after row of corn, all of my extra tomatoes, and many other veggies. I have no idea what he will do with all his excess produce. He doesn't either. I bet a lot of veggies from his garden are delivered to homeless shelters and other charities.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; April 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old April 10, 2013   #4
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

I have given away tomatoes and other seedlings at my roadside stand and ended up having to buy replacement plants during the early part of the growing season. Oh well, I'd rather give them away than to keep them and not need them and watch them die when I know others will make use of them. At least this year I can watch the progress of the giveaways. Besides, this CSA has enough room to help me grow out my crosses in greater numbers than I can on my own. This is not totally an unselfish act. But besides the crosses, this CSA will get:
Crnkovich
Heidi
Russian Big Roma
San Marzano
San Marzano 2
Viva Italia Hybrid
Ch Purple
Carbon
Black from Tula
Box Car Willie
Pineapple
Old German
Brad's Black Heart
Omar's Lebanese
Eva's Purple Ball
Aker's West Viginia
Some Cherries
Biker Billy Jalepenos

Maybe a few others. It's going to be a great season I can feel it!

Last edited by marc_groleau; April 10, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote