Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 25, 2013   #1
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Default My tiny dwarf tomatoes

Here are my four mini dwarf plants: Floragold Basket, Hahms Gelbe Topftomate, Hardin's Miniature, and Minibel.

Look at how droopy and wispy the leaves of Hardin's Miniature are! The leaves just grow like that, I guess. Hardin's Miniature receives the same amount of water as the other plants, so I don't think I did anything wrong for the leaves to look so unhealthy. I think it's just a wispy plant!

I am going to make a lot of crosses with these fellas this year, so any suggestions? I want to make some nice tasting, tiny, interesting plants for growing on windowsills in the winter. Like Micro Tom, only something that tastes good!

These plants already have buds because I planted them way before my "maincrop" tomatoes. I just hope they keep flowering until my other tomato varieties have flowers, so that I can cross them.

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #2
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I've had a few with rolled leaves like that, too. I wonder what the deal is?
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #3
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

That might be a characteristic of that variety. I was reading something where leaf curl is just a part of some plants. Wish I could recall where I read it. I'm sure it is on Tomatoville though.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #4
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Hey, how are the F2's I sent you?? Finding any dwarfs? Is that them on the lower shelf??

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #5
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, Zeroma, I'm pretty sure that is just how that variety grows.

I know that lots of heart shaped varieties are said to have "wispy" leaves. Does my Hardin's Miniature have "wispy" leaves like a heart tomato? To me it just looks like it constantly needs water. It is so interesting how each of those four varieties have totally different leaves.

Hey Chris! Yep, the six seed starter pots on the right bottom shelf are your crosses. I just thinned them, and I am seeing a handful of dwarves! Exciting!

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote