Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 3, 2012   #1
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Default Raspberries..help needed

I need to get in a row of raspberries and am unfamiliar with the varieties as I was away for so many years. Can anyone advise me on a good summer crop one, large berries mid season perhaps, and then an autumn(fall) one too. I know how to grow and prune it is the varieties I am unsure of. I expect to buy bare rooted canes and they are available but some folks are offering what they describe as plants which is puzzling me especially as the prices vary tremendously from seller to seller.

Plus, does anyone in Canada know a good source, BC would be best but anywhere really. I have info from Van Dam, Veseys and T&T but would prefer a local grower if anyone knows of one.

I am also looking for black currant bushes although I am familiar with a lot of the varieties except those that were new in the last decade..any info appreciated.

Thank you

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2012   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I liked Heritage for a fall raspberry, but dug them all out about 10 years ago when I couldn't control them taking over the garden- the deer eat them to the ground when planted outside the fence- ask me how I know. So there may be new and better varieties for your area.

Kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #3
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

We had the same problem with blackberries. They took over the garden and yielded not enough berried to fill and plastic tin sold at most supermarkets.
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I've got that blackberry problem this year. The roots and shoots have traveled two beds beyond their own. Next spring, I hope to transplant them all (a couple of miles away).

Tormato

My username should be Thornmato this year.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #5
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Blackberries are great but I wonder whether they are an asset for a small gardener. The yield vs the amount of space the plants take, does not make sense
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2012   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine, Did you ever plant any berries? We grow "caroline" and it is very prolific (spreads well after being established, which means you can plant a whole row in a year or two from just moving the runners as they grow and you have room). The only problem we have with our berries is they get moldy when it rains. So we spray with a fungicide. this seems to work very well. We pick from July to Oct (weather permitting as long as it doesn't freeze) for this variety with a lull during August, but they never quit bearing all together.

My aunt grows "autumn bliss", She says she likes it best of all the berries she has ever grown. (she is almost 90, so there are many years of experience), but I don't know how easy/difficult it is to grow or how heavy of a bearer it is.

The other "need to know" about raspberries is they require being thinned after they are done bearing. Old canes cut out and the new canes tied to a wire to keep them from falling over onto the ground. Which, depending on the size of your row, can be a lot of work, Hot sweaty, itchy and scratchy.

OR grow "Heritage" or "Latham" I do believe you mow either of them off at the end of the season. no thinning for them. I have not grown either of these varieties I have only the reading knowledge of them. So, if I am wrong on this "think" please correct this for me.
Old October 22, 2012   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

some folks are offering what they describe as plants which is puzzling me especially as the prices vary tremendously from seller to seller.

The greenhouse wholesale company I buy from sells "plugs" of berries in 72 cell flats. They're about $1.15 per plug if you buy 72 at a time. I plan on ordering some in the spring, re-potting and growing for a couple of months, and then re-selling for $5 at the farmer's market. In the spring, big retailers like Lowe's charge as much as $20 per plant. So I'd guess it's people like me who account for some of the price variations. Wholesale plants in a larger, ready-to-plant size go for about $5 each if you buy 50-100 at a time.

I would just find the nearest u-pick place or market grower and try to find out what they grow. You can get yellow, red, or black raspberries, but finding the variety that grows in your area is what is important.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote