Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 16, 2012   #1
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Blue Bayou

Here is a picture of Blue Bayou one of the Tom Wagner varieties I have going in this years blue tomato grow out.

I have various degrees of color in the blue varieties, but several of them currently look like this, practically black.

A neighbor did a walk through with me and asked what should have been something I thought of earlier, how do you tell when these dark varieties are ripe?
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #2
janezee
Tomatovillian™

By feeling them.

My first time growing Green Zebra, I was so frustrated having to feel my way through the summer.

When I was giving the list of tomatoes I had available, everyone wanted red, so that they could tell when they were ripe. One friend didn't even want SunSugar or Sungold Select, and she's had them before!

Glad they germinated for you! They sure look healthy!

I find those kind of disturbing, myself, but I was shocked at Chocolate Cherry the first time, too. Can't wait for a taste report, mark!

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #3
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

That was my guess, but of course he looked at me funny when I said it so I started questioning myself.

Blue Bayou was one of the better germination varieties, I ended up with 8 plants of it. At least so far it appears to be fairly uniform, some of the other varieties are showing some variability, but I expected that.

Blue Fog for example is blooming and setting like mad, but not showing the same kind of immediate coloring as the darker varieties, there are various degrees of blue showing up on different plants of that one.
Old June 16, 2012   #4
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Wow, those are dark! Please keep us posted on the taste, etc.
I'm surprised you have tomatoes that far along in NE Wisconsin already.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #5
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Probably more than half of mine have at least 1 cluster of fruit set, which is exceptional for my area. Unfortunately the warm weather has also come with a drought, hardly any rain in since the end of April.

I'm hoping to do a blue tomato taste test with some local restaurant folks once most of the blue varieties are producing. I'll be sure and post some details here!
Old June 16, 2012   #6
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

That is one incredible looking little mater. I want to know the taste as well, but really interested in a cut picture.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #7
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
Probably more than half of mine have at least 1 cluster of fruit set, which is exceptional for my area. Unfortunately the warm weather has also come with a drought, hardly any rain in since the end of April.

I'm hoping to do a blue tomato taste test with some local restaurant folks once most of the blue varieties are producing. I'll be sure and post some details here!
Mine are very far along too. Fortunately I keep getting rain.
Those are really dark. I am growing some of the P20, but I am still not convinced that any of the blues are more than a novelty. I have never heard anyone say they taste good.
Old June 16, 2012   #8
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Last year Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blue had great taste...especially late in the season.
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #9
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Great! I have one or two of them ready to go in the ground as soon as it warms up.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #10
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Mark, do keep us posted on how these develop. Like Doug, I'm amazed you have tomatoes that far along. I'm just now getting some small fruit on the earlier varieties (and I planted out fairly early for this part of the country). Good for you!
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2012   #11
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Those are some of the darkest ones, and most evenly so, that I've seen! (Except for on seed packs and such, where they put their very best photos)

Good job! Hope they are tasty for you. (If not, eat them anyway because they are supposed to have lots of good nutrients)
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #12
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Starting to get a few ripe ones now, but mostly the smaller ones and none of the ones that are pure blue black all over. Still this one was pretty close, you can see the red wine colored blush on the bottom.

And a picture of it cut.

Taste of the early ones is good, between a 6 and 7 on my personal scale. To compare it I had a Barlow Jap afterwards which was a good solid 8.
Old July 14, 2012   #13
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Mark this looks so good, nice balance between meat and juice.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2012   #14
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking tomato! My Bayou are pretty small yet as I got them in late but your photo gives high hopes for them.
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote