Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 4, 2006   #1
Reign
Tomatovillian™

Default Coyote

I just love this little gem. It is pretty sweet but still versitle in the kitchen.

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2006   #2
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

I am planning to grow Coyote next year so I am glad to hear you are really enjoying it!

( Nice countertops by the way 8) )
westocast73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2006   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Ahhh, those look good. Maybe next year.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2006   #4
Reign
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by westocast73
( Nice countertops by the way 8) )
umm..well. Thank you. But - I didn't bother to check color balance after I changed lens. My counter tops are green. The tomato is a few shades lighter than the photo.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2006   #5
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear about the colour. I thought it looked darker then I was expecting ( From previous pictures at least ).

Dark green counter sounds fine too by the way. :wink:
Old August 7, 2006   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Nice to see people enjoying this one. Interesting story assocated with it - the very first year I did a Pennsylvania Hort. Society Harvest Show display of my heirloom tomatoes (geez, probably back in 1989/90), a very nice woman named Maye Clement from Mexico stopped by with a blossom cluster of Coyotes on the vine for me. Since I'd never seen a tiny, nearly white cherry tomato, that was very exciting - of course, I tasted one and saved seed from the rest...then grew it out, and offered it in the SSE yearbook. That first meeting she didn't give me the name - and I unfortunately listed it first as Ivory Currant. She wrote me a letter with the full name (I still have the letter) - Amarillo Sylvestre Coyote, or something like that....and I renamed it Coyote. I must search for that letter to be sure I update my seed log with the full, accurate name.
Old August 9, 2006   #7
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Craig. It sounded familiar to me and since I pretty much read every description at a few different tomato seed vendors I went looking for it because I was sure I read it online before. Tomatofest was where I read it.

Quote:
Maye Clement brought Craig Lehoullier a branch of half a dozen of these tomatoes which he displayed at the PA Hort. Society Harvest Show in the late 1980's. Originally it was a wild Mexican tomato called Coyote Tiny Yellow. A jewel-like cherry, that bears 6 to 8 on a branch. Very flavorful!
Days: 75
Type: Heirloom
Size: Indeterminate
I didn't know about the Ivory Currant part though. So do people still list a variety named Ivory Currant or has that name pretty much dissappeared? Also does that mean this is in fact a Currant Tomato (Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium) ?