Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old July 16, 2012   #1
Toh Mat Toe Dad
Tomatovillian™

Question Adjust pH this late in the season?

I have 37 tomato plants in the ground (2 rows x 16 feet) strung following the Mittleider plan. The last test of my soil pH shows it at 7.0. Should I adjust the soil pH now, with fruit on the vine, or should I wait until the end of the season?
Toh Mat Toe Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2012   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What would you want the PH to be?
Lower or higher?

I would suggest lower down to about 6.
How would you adjust it?

I know how but I am asking you.

I dont see any reason you couldn't, but I would not disturb the roots so I would use a liquid.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2012   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

How were you planning on lowering the soil PH? Even if you want to, you're chances of making any lasting impact on PH this season is pretty nil. The buffering capacity of the soil is going to resist any permanent change in PH.
Besides, a PH of 7.0 is perfectly fine for growing tomatoes. When did you get your last test done, was it off season like in the fall or winter? Soil PH will vary some, it may be slightly lower during the spring and summer when there is active root growth and an increase in biological activity.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2012   #4
Toh Mat Toe Dad
Tomatovillian™

I tested in March (6.7) and again this week (7.0). I was going to go down to the coffee shop and get their daily used coffee grounds, and work them into the soil around and between the plants.
Toh Mat Toe Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2012   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Let the plants tell you what they want.

If they are growing and putting out fruit then why bother with them.

Tomatoes like a slightly acidic soil and from 7 down they should be ok.

If you want to lightly hoe in some coffee grounds that should be fine but I am not a fan of disturbing roots.
Then there is the whole thing about the PH test as in what you used, what kind of water and so forth.
When the PH starts getting too high your plants will tell you by not growing, then you need to do something about it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2012   #6
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Used coffee grounds will not lower the pH of your soil. Most of the acid is leached out during the brewing of the coffee, and leaves the grounds mostly neutral.

I wouldn't risk cultivating around the roots now. I'd compost them, or lay them on as a mulch right now.

It's fun to break up all those little hockey pucks of espresso.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2012   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Slightly acidic, PH of around 5.5 usually, about equal to rain water. Janezee is right most of the acidity is leached during brewing.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote