Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 3, 2012   #1
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Default plans for the year

with so many years of my father growing tomatoes and have very average success(or slightly lack there of) i decided to build a raised bed of my own and found tomatoville to help me figure out the tips and tricks to get some good maters

my raised bed is 4x16 and 12 inch deep. the bed is filled with mels mix which is 1/3 peat, 1/3 of 5 different compost sources and 1/3 coarse vermiculite. decided to go with 12 plants in a zig zag pattern with CRW cages and a soaker hose for watering.

although mels mix is supposed to be sufficient to grow the plants without an addition of fertilizers i have done plenty of reading and have come to the conclusion for the tomato grower its best to add a little extra.

my plants are in the ground as we speak with mycogrow soluble and actinovate used as a drench and also some happy frog for tomato granular fert. i just placed an order for some azomite powder and will be adding that with some more happy frog in a few weeks as a side dress and then mulch with some composted rabbit manure(had to compost as it was mixed with hay and i was worried about seeds).

along with the recently purchased azomite i also acquired some exel lg, biota max and biobizz biogrow.

i plan to use the biota max shortly with a little more mycogrow soluble actinovate and the biogrow as a soil drench.

the biogrow will also be used as my sticker for actinovate and exel lg foliage spray

although i've done tons of reading and think i am on the right track i am always looking for input from the folks here who have been doing this for years and know way more than i. any input would be greatly appreciated especially on my plans to add azomite and compost as a mulch. i'm also considering a couple granules of epsom salts

my vaireties
sungold f1
cher purple
brandywine from croatia RL
brandywine pink
kelloggs breakfast
grubs mystery green
neves azorian red crossed with brandywine F4

thanks all
TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Jeff, you have done your homework and have a well laid out plan for a successful tomato growing season. Keep us updated as the season progresses and some pictures would be nice. Ami
Old May 3, 2012   #3
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

While there are many others who know a lot more about the fertilizers and additives than myself, I will add a word of caution.

Be very careful with all of the additives. Too much can be much more harmful than too little.
And once everything is out of balance, it can be difficult to get things set right again.

Not that you shouldn't use it. Just make sure you read the directions twice before you mix them and then go easy the first time, especially the first year. You can always add more as you find out how your plants react.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012   #4
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

ami thanks for your help here on the boards. lets hope for a great season. good luck with you. i plan on taking photos all season long and will update regularly

livinonfaith- point taken. thanks for the heads up. this is something i needed to hear
Old May 4, 2012   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Not to worry as the products Jeff is using are Bio/Biofriendly and BioBizz Biogrow can be applied 2-3 times a week with no problem. Just follow the directions which should be done when applying any of these products. One recommendation I will make is the dosage rate for EXEL LG. You can add up to 2 oz (4 TBLS) per gallon of water. Starting out I would use 1TBLS per gallon of water and as the season progresses and conditions get more favorable for disease (high humity and temps) increase the dosage in increments up to the maximum 4 TBLS per gallon of water along with Actinovate as directed on the package. Ami
Old May 4, 2012   #6
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

thanks ami

i will keep the dosage recommendations in mind
Old May 4, 2012   #7
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Thanks from me, too, Ami! Good to know.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote