Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 27, 2012   #1
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

Default Cloth Wicks for SWC?

Has anyone tried cloth wicks instead of the soil wicks that the Earthtainer uses? My defective memory told me that the Global Bucket guys did this but I'm guessing that I was thinking of these urban farming guys who suggest terry cloth for the wicks.

Anyway, if anyone has experience with cloth wicks I'd really love to hear it.
lowlylowlycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #2
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

No personal experience but I can offer you these links from my research databank
They use polyester batting. the Green roof guys in Chicago apparently use it with great success.
http://greenroofgrowers.blogspot.com/search?q=wicking
http://www.insideurbangreen.org/2010...gardencom.html
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #3
willyb
Tomatovillian™

I experimented with several fabrics for wicks. Burlap worked best for me so I used it in my grow bags. They have been wicking for two weeks now and working very well. Cotton towels were 2nd best. The synthetic fabrics were far behind.
willyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #4
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Lowly, have used (nylon, I believe, but definitely synthetic) rope wicks for over five years in SWCs, five gallon and larger. Can find cheap in Walmart in the camping equipment area,about a quarter inch thick and very pliable) cut to length needed and singe ends to keep from unraveling...I've used three, about a foot long, in five gal. SWCs I grow tomatoes peppers and eggplants in....no problems and have used the same wicks year after year. In my climate wicks need to work and these do
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote