Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 23, 2011   #1
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Default NuMex Big Jim

When is Big Jim ready to be harvested? I'm making grilled burgers tonight and I thought a little green chili salsa would be a nice addition.

Anyone have a good recipe?
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #2
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I usually wait for the first one to start turning colors and get anything that size after, but if you pick one a little early it will just be a bit thin and low on flavor...seeds will seem immature.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

In the Chile belt, which is near where I live, Las Cruces NM to Hatch, NM, Numex Big Jim is picked green. If it blushes, or even turns red, it is fine-it should not get any better/different flavor by turning green to red. Are you growing NuMex Big Jim or NuMex Heritage Big Jim?
Old July 23, 2011   #4
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I think it is NuMex Big Jim, not Heritage. I obtained the seed in a trade. It has set quite a few large peppers so far. I'm looking forward to trying it.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2011   #5
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

I live at 5400 ft. near Albuq. and my Heritage Big Jim's are not ready yet. I set them out in May 7th. But as usual we had very cold nights until June then it turned hot. We also had winds every day through the end of June. I had covered them with Agribond but a violent wind in June tore up the cover. They were well on their way so I didn't re-cover them, a big mistake. For the first time ever for me, aphids infested the plants badly, seemingly over night. I had to dose them hard with insecticidal soap three times. Between the aphids and the soap the plants really took a hit. I re-covered them when I was sure the aphid were gone, and the plants have really bounced back. I usually start picking the peppers the first week of August, but this year I'm sure it will be at least two weeks later. I pick them when they get big and green, at least 7 or 8", they can get to 12". You can get the Heritage Big Jims through New Mexico State University web site. Or I have some left over from last years crop and I'll be saving seed from this years crop( assuming no disasters and I have some), I'll be happy to send you some.
Mike
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2011   #6
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

I don't have a recipe for them, but the only reason I got a NM Big Jim plant is to make chile rellenos. Definitely try making some of those you won't be disappoint!
Old August 4, 2011   #7
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

I uncovered my Heritage Big Jims and H.New Mexico 6-4's and to my surprise there were some Big Jim's ready to roast in spite of all the troubled I noted earlier. The N.Mex. 6-4's weren't nearly as far along. Covering them with Agribond really seem to help in a big way for me. My Jalapenos ( Jalamundo's also fron New Mexico State) have been producing well for about two weeks.
Mike
Old August 12, 2011   #8
Abbett
Tomatovillian™

I am growing 10 Heritage Big Jim's. I harvested 20 lbs. last week! I like to pick when they are a shade lighter green than the young peppers.

As for Green Chile Sauce for burgers.

Roast peal and dice chilles, saute for 10-15 mins. in butter with chopped garlic, salt and pepper to taste. After flipping burgers top with sauce then a slice of your favorite cheese.

Rick
Abbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2011   #9
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

Default Big Jims on Burgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbett View Post
I am growing 10 Heritage Big Jim's. I harvested 20 lbs. last week! I like to pick when they are a shade lighter green than the young peppers.

As for Green Chile Sauce for burgers.

Roast peal and dice chilles, saute for 10-15 mins. in butter with chopped garlic, salt and pepper to taste. After flipping burgers top with sauce then a slice of your favorite cheese.

Rick
I did just that yesterday, but I need to add a big slice of sweet onion out of the garden.... hummm best burger in town.
Old August 15, 2011   #10
Abbett
Tomatovillian™

And Tomato of course!
Abbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2011   #11
O.P. Mater
Tomatovillian™

Just watched a news story on Big Jim chili's that were 15" long.....grown in Hatch, NM! Will post link here......
http://www.koat.com/r/28939418/detail.html
O.P. Mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2011   #12
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I have bought some chile before from him-pretty nice guy.
Old August 31, 2011   #13
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link, I missed this news report (just got back from our annual Montana/ Wyoming fly fishing trip, my other passion) My largest so far this year was just a hair under 12" and I thought that was big! Wow 16" , that is a big chille. It is interesting to note that Hatch has been reported as having a really bad chille year.