Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 23, 2011   #1
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Default Pumpchini

Last year I grew zucchini and pumpkin. This year one of my plants, a volunteer, assumed produce zucchini because it was not vining, produced a bowling pin shaped, green at the neck fading to orange at the more bulbous part, vegetable. Is it possible they crossed and I have a Pumpchini, or do old Zucchini eventually turn orange if left too long on the vine?
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

no its dam near impossible for them to cross,would like to see photos if you could to see how what they look like though
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #3
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Both are C.pepo and can cross yes. Maybe take a pic. They can also cross with pumpkins and some gourds as well

Last edited by Stepheninky; July 31, 2011 at 06:30 AM.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #4
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Definately can cross,no doubt about it,most true pumpkins are pepo as is the zuchinni it is very common.

I would allow the fruit to mature and see if it has the keeping quality of pumpkin it may be worth saving although mnay pumpkins are not great for eating, it depends on the variety.

I would also try one as a summer squash and see what that is like.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #5
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

The veggies are long gone, but I did save the seeds. I will plant a couple out next week to see what happens.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #6
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

I would suggest you try harvesting the fruit young and then harvest a larger one. My hybrid zucchini I am growing this year have the pumpkin type segregated leaves instead of the typical solid leaves of heirloom summer squash and zucchini. They also get club shaped and big at the blossom end if left to grow. last the stem that connects the hybrid Zucs i have is that thick starish shape stem. By thick I mean it is about 2 in in diameter. Looks odd when they are young as it is as big around ir bigger than the zuc growing out of it.

The one problem regrowing it that you might have is that if it is F2 seed there could be a whole lot of segregation and you may not even grow anything similar to what you had. As I am unsure what traits in a C. pepo cross would be the dominate and recessives.

Inheritance of fruit shape in C. pepo due to additive genes gives phenotypic F2 ratio of 9 : 6 : 1

So from that I am guessing shapes would be all over the place not even counting in to account all the other traits like color, size, flesh type, etc...
Old August 4, 2011   #7
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Well there you go,don't believe every thing to hear as i was told years ago they don't cross so ive done some investigation and found that even though its seems to be a rear occurrence but can happen.
Even though ive never noticed any crossing to date,i'll definitely put a bit space between varieties to be on the safe side.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011   #8
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

A "pumpkin" can be any one of 4 species, 1 is the same species as summer squashes, so crosses are highly possible with that species, and it's likely what happened. Cross species crosses are possible, but unlikely. http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...cts/87-043.htm has all the details, what's in which species, what is possible to cross, and what's not. I found this page a couple of weeks ago at random when looking for info on the pollinator I'm using for seedless watermelon.

oh, and I have seen stunted zucchini that got large on the end and turned yellow, as they got overripe, unpicked because they were still small.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011   #9
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Many varieties of pumpkin as we call it here and zuchinni cross very easily, but in New Zealand many winter squash are called pumpkins and many of them are from a different species. Pepo species pumpkins will cross with zuchinni but not the others. So it pays to know what species your pumpkins(winter squash) are from.

Some are shown in the link above but very few varieties are there.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote