Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old August 24, 2011   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default potatoes still growing

This year I planted a variety of fingerling potatoes. Well, late August and they are still going strong - the foliage is at least 3-3 1/2 feet long. They show no sign of drying tops, etc. If I trim back the foliage, will that force more potatoes to form ? By now regular potato foliage is drying, etc. piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2011   #2
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

The fingerlings I have grown in the past always seem to be late varieties - way later than other potatoes I have grown even though fingerlings are smaller in general - check on the variety to see what the standard harvest time is.

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2011   #3
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Here it is October 1 and the darn things are still producing vines and flowers and show no signs of slowing down. I dug a hill several weeks ago and they were quite nice. Been growing since early April. piegirl
Old October 1, 2011   #4
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Do you know the names of the varieties you are growing? I've seen the fingerlings to be listed as early, mid season or long season.

I grew this year Red Thumb (early) die in about 100 days.
Old October 1, 2011   #5
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

It has not been a good year for potatoes here. Too cold in the spring and then hot and dry. Red Thumb is a great early producer most years, though.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2011   #6
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I know the varieties and from the 1st week in April to now is way more than 100 days. I guess I really don't care as long as there are potatoes under the vine. Probably will wait another week to dig since the temps will be in the 80's next week. piegirl
Old October 2, 2011   #7
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I have two varieties that are still growing and may even still have a flower or two. One is (I think) Reba, a late season variety. We had a hot dry period in June and when the rain started, after that it seemed like a lot of my varieties acted as if they were late planted.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote