Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 9, 2011   #1
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Seaweed???

Do you know if I can buy kelp in any stores in my area (SW PA)? I know my Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart do not carry Maxicrop or Neptunes Harvest or any fertilizer like this. I don't even have any hardware stores anymore, but I'd be willing to do a little traveling if anyone knows of a place I could buy some.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2011   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm across the state from you, but we can find it here at some garden centers and feed mills/farm stores. Agway has it if there's one of those near you. No hardware stores...yikes!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2011   #3
salix
Tomatovillian™

Try a feed store - I found some up here (500 miles from the ocean!) in a feed store. 5 lb. bucket of kelp meal, I believe it was meant as a supplement for horses...
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2011   #4
attml
Tomatovillian™

I know the Home Depot's in Maryland had some of this brand http://www.lillymiller.com/alaska.html. I have never used it so can't speak to how good or bad it is? When I saw it at my store it was in their outdoors garden center and looked like it had been there all winter so I held off. But at least they did have it.
attml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2011   #5
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Lilly is fish emulsion really stinks and is ok.Neptunes Harvest is the best.
Neptunes Harvest finally has some funny videos on line here they are

http://www.neptunesharvest.com/video.html

Last edited by FILMNET; March 10, 2011 at 08:56 AM.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2011   #6
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

I actually got that fish emulsion a couple years ago at my local walmart-it looked like it had been there awhile, too (they must've had a big surplus that year)! I bought two, though because it was a great price.
We only have one Agway left-and it's about 20 or so miles away, 30 years ago, we probably had a dozen within 25 miles.
Old March 10, 2011   #7
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Lillys is not Organic though, because they use some drug on the fish i herd, They did change the bottle this year , no Organic on it now.I use it anyway, Neptune 1 qt is only $12 here in they website it is $26, i will buy some for anyone.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2011   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttgirl View Post
We only have one Agway left-and it's about 20 or so miles away, 30 years ago, we probably had a dozen within 25 miles.
We had 5 Agways within about 30 min. of us only 2 years ago and now are down to 2. The best one remains, however, so I'm happy about that. The feed mills usually have better prices on the things they both carry.
Old March 10, 2011   #9
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

I have to take my son to the train station Sat. morning and that's not too much out of the way. Hopefully, this Agway will have it!
Old March 11, 2011   #10
beefsteak
Tomatovillian™

Amazon has it on their website, a quart for $8.20 plus $6.79 standard shipping and 91cents tax, that is for the Neptune harvest seaweed they also have the mix. http://www.amazon.com/Neptunes-Harve...ref=pd_sbs_k_5
beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011   #11
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

The Agway back from the station DID have Neptunes Harvest! Picked up a bottle for $15.99. Actually found some online for $15 (including shipping), but I bought it at Agway (supporting local business + I didn't have to wait)!
Old March 13, 2011   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttgirl View Post
The Agway back from the station DID have Neptunes Harvest! Picked up a bottle for $15.99. Actually found some online for $15 (including shipping), but I bought it at Agway (supporting local business + I didn't have to wait)!
Glad you found it! Nice that it was on your way, too, so no extra $ for gasoline for the purchase either.

What was the inexpensive source on-line in case someone else doesn't have a local option?
Old March 13, 2011   #13
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

I can't recall right now, but I believe it may have been Maxicrop on Amazon.