Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old November 30, 2011   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Mortising Question?

This is a long shot here and since I am not a member of any other forum I will ask the question here.

Does anybody here have any experience using a drill press for mortising?

I have read on some sites that it is not all that good of a thing.
That shocks me as they have been selling this attachment for years.

I am in the need of mortising to make some doors and furniture and really dont want to buy yet another tool to do so.

I will be getting an 18-900L 18 inch Delta drill press this week and was wandering if this one would do the trick.
My other option would be to use forstner bits and a wood chisel.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2011   #2
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I've owned and used both that drill press and its mortising attachment. Both work well if your aren't doing mortising on a regular basis. If you're going to do mortising on a daily basis buy a mortiser. One thing to pay attention to, make sure the tip of your bit has a little clearance from the Chisel (about 1/32nd inch) and the bit is tight in the chuck so the pressure of mortising can't push the bit up into the chuck. Also, I keep a wax candle handy for lubrication, just a little or it will interfere with your glue joint. The wax will also keep your mortising chisels and bits from rusting if you'll put a little on them after you finish, but before they cool. Claud

Last edited by saltmarsh; November 30, 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Typo corrected
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2011   #3
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I watch The New Yankee Workshop on occasion and that is how Norm Abrams does it. He uses a drill press with a mortising attachment.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2011   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, now the problem is the Delta mortising kit doesn't come with a 52 mm bushing for the quill.
My new press has a 52 mm quill.

I might have to go to General International (NOT harbor freight) to get one with the right size spacer for the quill.

The smart thing to do is to wait for the press to come in and measure the quill myself to make sure there isn't a misprint.

I think I might try to contact Delta to see what they can do.

I ran a $40.000 wood moulder back in the 80's and if you didn't now the tricks to setting it up you would have called it a piece of junk.
It seems as though this is why people are cussing the mortising attachment.
They dont know how to set it up correctly, they buy junk to begin with or use too small of a press like a bench press.

Worth
Old November 30, 2011   #5
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I like this tool which is far simpler and easier that using mortise & tenon joinery.

http://www.kregtool.com/pocket-hole-jigs-prodlist.html

I know Worth won't like it...
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2011   #6
Skaggydog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
I like this tool which is far simpler and easier that using mortise & tenon joinery.

Hardly close to the strengh Worth will have in his joints.
Skaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2011   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post

Now Now dont say that, it is a cool tool and I like their stuff.
The problem is I keep finding more and more stuff I need a drill press for.

For face frames that is the correct way to join them.
We used a big monster of a machine to do the same thing.

You stuck the wood in put your foot down on a peddle a clamp came down bits came up and whala multiple holes.
For doors you cant have those unsightly holes when you open up the door.
The drill press I ordered has both front and sideways tilting so with the right bit and a simple jig I can do the same thing.
Plus drill compound angles for furniture without jigs.

http://www.deltamachinery.com/produc...?category_id=2

Worth
Old November 30, 2011   #8
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

The pocket hole jig is a great tool for many things,(I have mainly used it for face frames) but as said above it does not hold a candle to the strength of a mortise and tenon. If you are just doing one or two projects with these joints I would just drill and chisel, but it takes a long time. As with any tool purchase it all depends on whether you will use it enough to get your monies worth, Worth.
Old December 1, 2011   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Considering the price they charge for doors I would say I will get my moneys worth.

Everything I have purchased has more than payed for its self so far.
I think one of the best things I have done so far is get a second router.
My wife asked me what I was going to do with the 30 year old router I have give it to good will and I said WHAT, ARE YOU CRAZY.
One does rabbits the other does dado's.

Worth
Old December 1, 2011   #10
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

You can never have enough routers! Several years ago I built a router table. Wow, that was one of the best decisions I ever made. I use it for making moldings, cabinet doors, and as a jointer. And with it set up to my shop vac it makes a much smaller mess than a hand held.
Old December 1, 2011   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have a tig welder and am going to make a fixture to put one of my pouters on the drill press so I can have a pin router of sorts.
Should work.
I used to use a huge 3 phase pin router at work years ago for all sorts of stuff.
Man that thing was cool.

Worth
Old December 1, 2011   #12
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like he who dies with the most tools wins! God know my grandfather was in contention for that. He was a tool and die maker / machinist and if he couldn't find the machine he wanted to complete a project he'd design and build one. My uncles, cousins and bros divied up all his stuff after he died.....although I have some of his hand tools....including some of the planes that were my great grandfathers'.

I've done designs and personally built mortise and tendons with both the drill press and a mortiser. Like what has been said by others, it truly depends upon how much wear and tear the joint will get whether going without the mortise and tendon and subbing biscuits is going to be sturdy enough. Regardless gluing the joint however which way you build it will add to the strength of the joint.

Looking forward to seeing what you're going to produce next, Worth.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2011   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Plumbing Zana Plumbing.

Worth
Old December 1, 2011   #14
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

My theory is if you are going to take all the time to build it, then build it right. I worked at a cabinet shop for about 5 years and we made a combination of commercial and residential cabinets and counters. I know that some of the commercial cabinets that I made are probably ready to be replaced now. But I know that the things that I have made on my own, with good materials and techniques will be handed down and used by my grandchildren.
Old December 1, 2011   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have some of my wife's not wives grand fathers tools from after he died almost 30 years ago.
I got along with him really well and I bet he couldn't think of an other person he would rather to have his tools.
These things are like really old.

Worth