Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 22, 2010   #1
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Default Montana Tomato help

I posted this on another forum, and I did not get many reply's.........Maybe I will have better luck here..............Thanks in advance....

I have purchased an EB for my brother who lives in Missoula MT. He is retired, and writes crossword puzzles for the NY times, LA Times ect. w/ his spare time. He has never grown anything in his life, but would like to learn. (He is a very good cook). I purchased an EB for his B-day, and it shipped today. He has a small garden area that receives approx 6 hrs of sunlight. I believe 6 hours is just enough sunshine to grow maters. What varieties grow well in Montana? He would like to grow cherry maters. I have much success w/ sungold here in Texas, but don't know if they would do well in the cold country. When do you plant your maters?? He also likes Broccoli. I grow broccoli in the fall, but never in the spring. Does broccoli do well in the spring in Montana?? He also wants to grow herbs. Any veggie tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2010   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jeanne lives in Montana and posts here. Hopefully she will answer your question. Her id is montanamato-do a search for her posts, and I am sure she discusses some of the varieties she plants.
Old April 23, 2010   #3
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Most cherry tomatoes are earlier ripening varieties so they should do fine, especially with only 6 hrs of sunlight. I have a similar climate here in Utah and Sungold has performed well for me.
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2010   #4
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

mdvpc.......Thank you I will do a search........................Spyfferoni.......... ..Thank you....I sorta' suggested that to him.........but they get so big......
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2010   #5
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornstrider View Post
mdvpc.......Thank you I will do a search........................Spyfferoni.......... ..Thank you....I sorta' suggested that to him.........but they get so big......
He could always prune them back when the start getting to big.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote