Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 23, 2009   #1
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default Mtn Magic and Plum Regal

Is there anyone that knows a commercial source of these new NCSU-developed hybrids? I believe they will be available in 2010, but don't know where yet.

www.reeis.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/93089.html
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
Is there anyone that knows a commercial source of these new NCSU-developed hybrids? I believe they will be available in 2010, but don't know where yet.

www.reeis.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/93089.html
I was in touch with a person from Bejo seeds a couple of months ago and she indicated where she thought the seeds might be offered commercially, but said it was tentatvie and I guess all final decisions
are made in the Netherlands where Bejo is headquartered. This lady is with Bejo seeds in Geneva, NY.

I know I wasn't too pleased with some of the places she mentioned and had suggested TGS as a good source and she said se'd pass that on.

I called Linda at TGS about it and she said she had a Bejo rep and would try to contact him, but I haven't heard anything lately.

So rest assured both varieties, and I've grown both plus Smarty F1, seeds from Dr. Randy Gardner who bred them, will be available for 2010, as long as seed production went well. At first I was worried b'c I thought seed production was at Geneva, NY and it was a terrible season here in NYS but she said seed production was in the Netherlands.

Smarty F1 was offered for 2009 by Johnny's so is already out there.

Hope that helps and I guess it's just a matter of waiting for certain catalogs to appear, or updated websites, and see where Bejo decided to place the seeds..
Old November 24, 2009   #3
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

thanks Carolyn, I'll watch for news on where these will be sold.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I intend to get to the Michigan vegie conference next week. They have a great trade show and most all the seed companies will have booths and reps there. I'll try to remember to ask about those varieties as I make my way thru.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I went back to the e-mail where Eileen of Bejo seeds had mentioned some of the places where they had been selling their seed but also noted that at that point, which was in mid-September, she didn't know how seed production in the Netherlans was going for the two varieties mentioned here. And of course everything in terms of a release date is predicated on having the seeds available.

Some of the places she mentioned already have their catalogs out and I haven't seen anyone mention either of them yet. And I'm talking retail, not wholesale.

So I guess only time will tell.
Old December 3, 2009   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

The contact person given at their website does not respond to emails or phone messages in a timely fashion. In fact, not at all in five days.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2009   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
The contact person given at their website does not respond to emails or phone messages in a timely fashion. In fact, not at all in five days.
As I recall that website is from the headquarters of Bejo in the Netherlands and if you aren't someone commercial it doesn't surprise me that you aren't getting a response in a timely manner at this time of the year.

Would you like me to contct Eileen here in the US who is the Bejo person I referred to above and see if she can find out what the definite retail places will be, if indeed the seed production went well?
Old December 3, 2009   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

That would be great. Thanks.
Old December 10, 2009   #9
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I just got back from the Michigan trade show. We had to spend an extra nite there because ofthe storm that went thru most of the country but especially the mid-west. Really ugly driving this morning for about 100 miles til we got out of Michigan.

I talked with the Seed guys from Seedway about Mt Magic and Plum Regal. They are the catalog that has the Bejo stuff and the Bejo rep was there too. Anyway, they know about the varieties but have been told by Bejo that the seeds WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE THIS YEAR. It will be at least 2-3 years before those seeds will be on the market.

However there are some SAMPLES of those seeds available tho Bejo doesn't really like the fact that they are getting around a bit. My seed rep said he could get me some if I really wanted to try them. I declined as I have too many good heirloom tomato seeds right now as it is. I don't need to get into trying to de-hybridize something that isn't even released yet.

I know this contradicts what Carolyn posted earlier, so take this with a grain of salt. This is just what they told me. I got it from the Seedway guys tho as the Bejo guy was busy at the time.

The Seedway guys also said they will have an exclusive on those varieties when they come out. Take that for what you will too.

Carol
Old December 10, 2009   #10
travis
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I got the same information back from the contact person given at the Bejo website. Not in as much detail as you have, but generally got another contact name and told to email him in January to see if there will be any samples.

In the meanwhile, I got an offer of a few F1 seeds for Mountain Magic and that is all I wanted anyway. Just enough to give it a try and see what it's all about. Thanks for the information.
Old December 10, 2009   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I just got back from the Michigan trade show. We had to spend an extra nite there because ofthe storm that went thru most of the country but especially the mid-west. Really ugly driving this morning for about 100 miles til we got out of Michigan.

I talked with the Seed guys from Seedway about Mt Magic and Plum Regal. They are the catalog that has the Bejo stuff and the Bejo rep was there too. Anyway, they know about the varieties but have been told by Bejo that the seeds WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE THIS YEAR. It will be at least 2-3 years before those seeds will be on the market.

However there are some SAMPLES of those seeds available tho Bejo doesn't really like the fact that they are getting around a bit. My seed rep said he could get me some if I really wanted to try them. I declined as I have too many good heirloom tomato seeds right now as it is. I don't need to get into trying to de-hybridize something that isn't even released yet.

I know this contradicts what Carolyn posted earlier, so take this with a grain of salt. This is just what they told me. I got it from the Seedway guys tho as the Bejo guy was busy at the time.

The Seedway guys also said they will have an exclusive on those varieties when they come out. Take that for what you will too.

Carol
Carol. I did say in my above post that seed availability was dependent on successful seed productio in the Netherlands and I guess it wasn't. So I see no contradiction.

It was Dr. Gardner who first posted that the seeds for both should be available in 2010 but stuff happens, as we all know.

Eileen at Bejo in Geneva, NY had mentioned seedway as a retail outlet but also had mentioned several others. So I don't see that as a contradiction either.

What is, is.
Old December 10, 2009   #12
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

OK, good. I thought maybe what they told me was different from what the Bejo rep had told you.

Yup sounds like something interuped the original plans.

carol
Old March 28, 2010   #13
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Just a heads up that I am growing Mountain Magic and Plum Regal this year. They are on my website.

http://www.selectedplants.com/

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote