Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 21, 2009   #1
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Default Mylar Emergency Blankets

After someone mentioned in another thread to use aluminum foil--there were other notions as well--I got on ebay and for $1.25 plus shipping I got a large piece of mylar. I draped it around and snugged it in around the seedlings and shoplights.

This has made the biggest difference than anything I've ever tried. The seedlings are greener and stockier than any other year. Yeah greener. Weird I know but they're dark green, vibrant.

The next step will be to put mylar on the bottom of the plant stand tray so light can reflect up as well.

This is a very cost-effective way to address this light issue.

Barb
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2009   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Yes they do that; but they degrade outside because of the sun and acid rain. They may last one season outside.

~* Robin
Old March 21, 2009   #3
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb,
So you hung it around like a curtain? I like how you are maximizing the light.
fourtgn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2009   #4
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

For $1.25 I don't care if they rip to shreds by June 1, I just want them for the seedlings. I have no idea how you'd use it outside. They are so light, unless they were very securely fastened, they'd float away/billow up.

Yes, fourtgn, I draped it over the shop light. I was going to cut it apart and tape it to the wall but when I saw how big it was and how I could get away with doing nothing but unfurling it, I chose to do the latter. At some point when I really get started, I'll cut one section off and put that on the bottom of the tray to reflect up. It's a very large piece so it won't be missed in the draping aspect.
Old March 21, 2009   #5
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumierefrere View Post
They are so light, unless they were very securely fastened, they'd float away/billow up.
I have no idea how you'd use it outside.
They were once used by gardeners outside as "Silver Mulch" to deter many bugs, on top of the soil and pinned down with garden pins or stones.

I did use aluminum foil from the roll and foil pans bought from the "Dollar Store." To conduct heat to the plants and also to deter the bugs when I lived up north there. The aluminum foil worked wonders. No bugs where I put it under my tomato plants.

~* Robin
Old March 22, 2009   #6
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Barb for the great idea. I remembered that I have a spare first aid kit with mylar blanket. My seedlings were getting leggy under one fluorescent tube, so I spent yesterday building wire shelf frame of a small temporary greenhouse. I set the frame on a table on front of a window in my sowing room. I hung two 20 Watt tube lights above two of the shelves. The lights do not have reflectors, so I made them out of aluminum foil. To finish the whole thing I draped the mylar on back of the frame, so that it reflects the sun shine coming from the window. The room gets afternoon sun and it is partially filtered by pine trees. I hope the mylar helps getting more out of the sun and the lamps.
Old March 22, 2009   #7
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

Well, my plants are already in the ground, but I'll be looking for the fall seeds. Great idea!

fourtgn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2009   #8
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I may need to wrap the mylar all around the frame for nights or close the roll down blind. I noticed that the whole yard is lighted from the light shining through the window. I could also turn off the lights when sun goes down, because the daylight time is getting long enough.
Old March 22, 2009   #9
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalli View Post
I may need to wrap the mylar all around the frame for nights or close the roll down blind. I noticed that the whole yard is lighted from the light shining through the window. I could also turn off the lights when sun goes down, because the daylight time is getting long enough.
Sometimes the mylar lets the light go through the window anyway. It would surely let any burglars know you're watching them! LOL! (as an anti-theft device.) I'd roll down the blind.

~* Robin
Old March 22, 2009   #10
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Robin

Do you recycle the aluminum foil you use in the garden?

Barb
Old March 22, 2009   #11
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Just a few thoughts:

1. Two kinds of "space blanket", silver and gold. Silver is better. Gold is designed mostly to reflect heat. Only one side of the Mylar is metalized. Use that side to face the light, it will last longer.

"Do you recycle the aluminum foil you use in the garden?"
2. You can use spray on adhesive to glue kitchen alum foil on a board. You can use and re-use the board over and over again.

3. Use Velcro to hang you Mylar foil. very easy.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2009   #12
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumierefrere View Post
Robin

Do you recycle the aluminum foil you use in the garden?

Barb
Sometimes it's recycled, bad ones are thrown in the recycle bin (the ones from cooking meat (if not too bad) - are washed, scrolled, rolled, put between 2 - 2x4's pounded flat with hammer; to make aluminum foil plant tags.) Like this or This

I usually put the shiny part up, underneath the plants outside. It worked for tomatoes, cukes, squash, various other veggies and the hollyhocks too.

~* Robin