Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 17, 2021   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Park's Whopper

I'm mentioned Park's Whopper here before but didn't get a lot of info, and it never had its own thread. I'm interested in the old fashioned Park's Whopper, and also the new Park's Whopper CR Improved Hybrid VFFNT. Has anyone here tried this one?

I grew them in 30 gallon containers two years ago and they did fine until the truly and prolonged hot weather heated up the containers and then they went into steep decline.

They seem similar to a Better Boy, Big Boy, etc. as far as looks, size, and taste but their date to maturity is shorter at the advertised time of 65 days.

I sell a lot of canning, relish, and green tomatoes, so I'm not necessarily looking for a a replacement for my standards, but I wanted to try something that bears earlier and is similar to Better Boy and is also a tasty summer slicer.

I'm hoping that some of our members here who have more experience with Park's Whopper, especially Park's Whopper CR Improved, can give me some insight and basic info.

Thanks in advance.
Don

Last edited by TomatoDon; March 18, 2021 at 12:01 AM.
TomatoDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2021   #2
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I grew Park's Whopper CR Improved Hybrid VFFNT in 2018, I believe. No complaints really, but my standard red hybrid is Big Beef. Park's Whopper set fruit a bit earlier, and were generally larger tomatoes, but they didn't set nearly as many fruit per plant as Big Beef.

Your operation is over in Yalobusha County, yes? I may have to road trip over there for a look-see...

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2021   #3
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Goodloe. Yes, I am over in Yalobusha. You've mentioned before here on Tomatoville about coming over. Are you over near Columbus Air Force Base? You are welcome to visit any time, but if you are near Columbus, that's going to be a long drive.

Last edited by TomatoDon; March 18, 2021 at 04:19 PM.
TomatoDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2021   #4
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Park's Whopper Improved

I grow Park's Whopper Improved every year here in N.C. It is a consistent performer and always has a number of good sized tomatoes. It has always been a winner for me. Maybe our climate or soil, but always our performs Big Beef and Better Boy.

Last edited by friedgreen51; March 18, 2021 at 02:05 PM. Reason: grammer
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2021   #5
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Yup, as the crow flies, I'm about 5 miles from the Air Force Base...A long drive, yes, but worth it, methinks! I'll let you know. Hopefully I can get over there soon.

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote