Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 9, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Have you Grown these Backups?

Any and all feedback welcome on these:

Missouri Love Apple
Gajo de Melon
Missouri Crimson Delight

Also, SpudLeaf, I have great germination on Grandpa Charlie but zip on Grandpa Willie. Strange but true. Could I have a different bunch of seeds. Or is it me?

Thnx, Grub.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2006   #2
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Germination of Grandpas Charlie and Gillie

Grub,
I don't know what happened with yours and can't explain the non germination on Grandpa Willie. Both varieties were from seed grown out in 2005.

I had over 90% germination on both Grandpa Charlie and Willie this year(2006) with seed taken from the same master seed packets that your seed came from.

I had a similar thing happen this year with my Stump of the World planting. The first planting was zip germination for 10 seeds and then when I replanted the same seed from the same master packet, germination was 9/10 seeds.

Go figure!!!! Was the first batch planted too deeply or got bad or cold water, insufficient or too much bottom heat, or whatever, I can't explain it.

Try planting Grandpa Willie again ( I plant my seeds 1/8 inch deep and cover lightly with fine dry sand and then water with warm water). If he doesn't germinate the second time I'll send you some new seed from this year's (2006) growout.

Regards
Spud
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2006   #3
robbins
Tomatovillian™

Hey Grub -
We really like MO Pink Love Apple - a big PL pink - rich creamy flavor, on the sweet side.
Gajo de Melon is like your Grandpa Willie - I just can't get the dam things to germinate.
Your GMG seeds are on the way.
Robbins
robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2006   #4
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Robbins...........I feel better now. Gajo de Melon didn't germinate for me either. In fact out of 175 varieties, it was the only one that was seeded twice and nothing.
If Grub gives it a good report I will probably try again...Heck, even if he gives it a bad report, I will probably try....I hate losing to a seed...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2006   #5
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default No Show

Doesn't sound promising on the germination front here, either. No Gajo de Melons after about two-three weeks.

Good news about the M. Love Apple.
Thanks.

Spudly,
I don't think I did anything diferently with the Grandpa Willies compared to the Grandpa Charlies. But I'll sure give GW another sow.

Thanks Spud. Bound to be me.
Old September 11, 2006   #6
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Buggered if I know either Grub. Sometimes I sow a few punnets and they bolt out of the mix, and two weeks later do the same with lots of varieties not just one, and they seem to take an age to emerge.
What does seem weird to me is that the differing batches of them seem to emerge and grow about the same. The earlies I sowed this year as an experiment on May 7 all came up quickly and grew really well and are now setting fruit in the greenhouse. The batch I sowed later , about 3 weeks, took ages to come up, and then grew very slowly. Got me buggered.
I would be taking the little wooden fella from your bathroom with you when you sow the seeds.
Eh, couldnt hurt
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2006   #7
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I grew Missouri Pink Love Apple in 2004 and found it rather bland and of poor texture. I am willing to try it again sometime, as I really hate drawing a line using just one point. I did grow Millionaire this summer, which was from Baker Creek and had a Missouri background. It was pretty darn good tasting but not especially productive. I would (will) grow it again. Where did you get your seeds for Missouri Crimson Delight? This is a new one to me--what's it like? I just did a Google search on it and got one hit--a seed trade request at the other forum.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2006   #8
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Hi Ruth

Hi Ruth,

Missouri Love Apple — I'm getting some good reports so will give it a go.

Gajo de Melon — many folk are experiencing about poor germination with this one, myself included.

Missouri Crimson Delight —★seeds from fellow t'villian Honu in Hawaii. The sprouted and have been transplanted.

I will report back, of course.

Cheers, Grub.